Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Resets, But Sometimes Won't Fire

mpolans

Here's a strange one that just started happening.  I have a Glock 17 that will reset, but sometimes won't fire.  I notice that if I pull up on the slide a little bit, it will fire reliably.  Conversely, if I push down on the top of the slide right near the rear sight it often won't fire, or will fire when the trigger is pulled all the way to rear slightly harder than usual.  It only does it with the G17 top end; I have a G34 top end for the gun that works fine.

Any thoughts on what's causing this and how to fix it?

Edited by mpolans

15 hours ago, darkvibe said:

How much engagement does the trigger bar have on the striker?  Is it an aftermarket trigger bar, slide or striker?

Stock striker and slide for both top ends, DK trigger bar.

Hard to diagnose without looking at it. That said

glock release the strike to fire when the connector pulls the trigger bar down sufficiently. 

Your problem sounds like tolerance stacking. The foot on the strike might be just a little longer on the 17 than the 34. Still within tolerance, but not quite right for the frame you are using. 

I would swap the strikers to see if that cures the problem. If it does, then you need to stone a bit off the offending striker foot. Blue sharpie or dykem would be useful to see where parts are rubbing. 

Hope this helps you in the quest for solutions 

Sounds like trigger bar differences between a gen3 and gen4 slide acting suspicious, this I've seen a few times on trigger job guns when slipping the wrong slide on but still the same caliber. What are your glock gens? besides the trigger bar, have you modified the ejector houseing or connector in any way? 

On September 1, 2016 at 1:07 AM, srREXed said:

Sounds like trigger bar differences between a gen3 and gen4 slide acting suspicious, this I've seen a few times on trigger job guns when slipping the wrong slide on but still the same caliber. What are your glock gens? besides the trigger bar, have you modified the ejector houseing or connector in any way? 

Both slides (and frame) are gen3, polished connector, but no housing mods.  I think I have one of those short orange rear plates, but I misplaced it.  I'll have to track it down.