Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fail to eject

redbone1

I'm looking for y'all's help in diagnosing a malfunction. I have a kimber 1911 , I know some will hate on kimbers but mine has been pretty much 100% reliable for over two years and around 15k rounds, that is having a weird malfunction. During the process of the slide moving back to eject, the spent case is not ejecting and the slide moves forward feeding a new round into the chamber with spent case still on the extractor right behind it. It started off with it happening once at two different matches. Then twice at the last match. I thought it might have been the recoil spring being a lil heavy for the ammo I was using Atlanta arms ( which it never did before).But switching to a lighter spring did not help matters and seemed to have made it worse when I went to the range today. I played around with my grip and tried to determine if it may be a magazine issue but didn't see a definite pattern. Ejector looks fine. I'm sure I'm not the first to have this problem. Thinking maybe the extractor needs to be re tensioned??? Any help would be appreciated and the first round is on me if your ever in my neck of the woods.

Dave

Most likely the extractor is worn or shot.  There's not enough tension for the hook to catch the case rim so it's riding over and not grabbing the shell casing when the slide moves back.  Try taking the extractor out and add some tension to it.  You don't need a special tool and you can check tension by sliding a case up under the hook (with the slide off the frame).  It shouldn't be real tight, but there should be enough tension to hold a rounds in place when the slide is horizontal.

I would defiantly clean the extractor and give it a good visual look over for anything obvious and as mentioned above it may just need a simple tension adjustment. With the slide off the gun it should hold a empty case being shook aggressively and should drop a loaded round when shook aggressively. That's the shade tree adjustment that works pretty well usually. 

2 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Most likely the extractor is worn or shot.  There's not enough tension for the hook to catch the case rim so it's riding over and not grabbing the shell casing when the slide moves back.  Try taking the extractor out and add some tension to it.  You don't need a special tool and you can check tension by sliding a case up under the hook (with the slide off the frame).  It shouldn't be real tight, but there should be enough tension to hold a rounds in place when the slide is horizontal.

+1 

Have several Kimber's and enjoy them. Extractor is the heart of a 1911, Often overlooked when cleaning.

Seen several gun choke because crud in the extractor tube and buildup on the extractor won't let it function.

Won't hurt to check extractor tension after cleaning.

Thanks for the replies. Seems most everyone is thinking the extractor tension like I was. I know it's not dirty and neither is the channel it goes in because I'm one of those weirdos that clean it before every match. I'm thinking that if it loss tension it's not putting enough pressure on the spent case to ensure it hits the ejector  fully or in the right spot. I also remember the extractor used to require a lil more pressure to remove it from the channel and it was coming out rather easily. I did a lil adjustment as suggested. Will test it when I get back from area 8. Thanks everyone, I do appreciate it.

So you are saying the gun comes to a stop with an unfired cartridge in the chamber and a fired case behind it in the extractor?

i would check extractor tension, but if it is more than 0, I would say unrelated.

Feeding a live round uncontrolled is certainly a mag issue. Need a stronger mag spring or something else to hold the cartridge in the mag. Fix the double feed first.