Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will carry optics be permanent division?

jeremy kemlo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On September 2, 2016 at 8:30 AM, bret said:

that is not correct, once the slide has been milled, it is not production legal.

if the slide is tapped for an optic, then it would still be production legal, but once milled, it is no longer able to be used for production.

Appendix D4 - 21.2b " Milling of slide — only as required to insert sights // Remains in effect – a slide may be modified specifically for the purpose of installing sights, and for no other purpose"

This allows milling as well as tapping for sights. A plate with rear sights could be attached where you had milled for an optic and be OK as long as it doesn't serve any other purpose (no lightenging, no texture/serrations, no profile change). Check with NROI if you are worried.

Carry optics does allow other milling - frame texture, slide serrations, slide lightening as long as no port/penetration -- any of those would make the gun unable to go back to production. 

Edited by trgt

2 hours ago, trgt said:

Appendix D4 - 21.2b " Milling of slide — only as required to insert sights // Remains in effect – a slide may be modified specifically for the purpose of installing sights, and for no other purpose"

This allows milling as well as tapping for sights. A plate with rear sights could be attached where you had milled for an optic and be OK as long as it doesn't serve any other purpose (no lightenging, no texture/serrations, no profile change). Check with DNROI if you are worried.

Carry optics does allow other milling - frame texture, slide serrations, slide lightening as long as no port/penetration -- any of those would make the gun unable to go back to production. 

Did NROI rule on this or is it just another individual answer to one email? I could see putting a polymer plate and rear sight on the gun and getting weight reduction

On September 5, 2016 at 5:06 AM, Sarge said:

Did NROI rule on this or is it just another individual answer to one email? I could see putting a polymer plate and rear sight on the gun and getting weight reduction

That's a good point.

I thought I had seen commentary on this long ago, but I don't have an email posted or ruling that I can locate. I'll email NROI.

Edited by trgt

I am in California so a core is out. I put an add in the classifieds here looking to buy just a core slide but have had no response. I could dove tail mount something but I don't like the idea of ithe optic being so high. I wanted to shoot my production M&p at the same match and have the index be close. 

There's a guy on Gunbroker with CORE slide for sale:
Item Title:
New S&W M&P Pro core 9mm upper slide assembly
Item Number:
Price:
$450.00
Ending Date:
09/04/2016 15:14:32

Sent from my reloading bench using Tapatalk

On 9/4/2016 at 10:21 PM, JohnRodriguez said:

I wish they would include revo's to play in CO game.    just put my Dr optics mount and put my fastfire on and go play.  

Auto boys don't want to get whooped up on by revolver shooters. After all everyone says revolvers are not competitive against autos. :devil: 

1 hour ago, revoman said:

Auto boys don't want to get whooped up on by revolver shooters. After all everyone says revolvers are not competitive against autos. :devil: 

I'd play in that game even with a 2 round and reload disadvantage.  If they really want more wheel guns in the sport adding to CO would be a start..  Don't think my 929 would make weight though LOL!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On September 5, 2016 at 5:06 AM, Sarge said:

Took him awhile to respond, quite busy I imagine:

Troy McManus
7:04 PM 

I think it was probably an email response, but that should not render your pistol non-compliant for Production, since there are other commercially available guns like this. I'm kind of tied up with Nationals right now, but as soon as I can get to it, I'll probably issue a ruling regarding this for Production.
Regards,
Troy

On 9/6/2016 10:44 AM, Mike Sawyer wrote:
Hi Troy, 
I thought I had seen discussion on this awhile ago, but I can't locate either an email response or ruling to reference.

I own multiple CZ pistols that are otherwise USPSA production compliant, but have had the slide milled to directly accept a Red Dot w/o need for adapter, for Carry Optics division. (This is only modification beyond production, no other frame or slide modifications)

It was my understanding that as long as pistol otherwise remains production compliant, it is OK to have a plate fitted to this milled to return back to original slide profile (and attach a rear sight to), to bring pistol back to production class if desired.

• 4 weeks later...