Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee FCD and undersizing die

3djedi

There was a thread a few years back about this exact thing. I believe some felt, as do I, that the FCD is pointless if your Udie is properly adjusted. I run an FCD AND Udie but the FCD is backed out and only crimps.

I believe some shooters feel the FCD creates setback issues by resizing soft bullets when adjusted all the way down.

Actually I was trying to replace the fcd because it causes the press to run a little rough. I'm running the 1050 with the Mark VII autodrive....... with the dillon crimp die I was getting a lot of rounds that wouldn't pass chamber check. I put the fcd on there and now get nearly 100%....... I just received the undersized die and put it on there with the fcd and didn't seem to help smooth things out. I plan to take the fcd off and try the dillon again and see if it runs smoother and case gages well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, 3djedi said:

Is there any reason NOT to use both of these dies in the reloading process? (.40 S&W) 

Please explain how you would use both dies in the reloading process.  I am having problems understanding how you would set that up on a progressive press.

Please explain how you would use both dies in the reloading process.  I am having problems understanding how you would set that up on a progressive press.

Undersizing/decapping in station 1 and the factory crimp in the last station.

The press running rough is because of the bullet size. If you use .401" coated they will cause the press to run rough, if you use .400" everything smooths out.

I using blue bullets. They claim to be .400

Thats what i use as well. When they used to size them .401 I had the same issue you describe when they went .400 the problem went away.

Measure some and see what they actually are. For me a bullet thats .401 will run pretty smooth but anythong over it gets rough. Also some brass is thicker which will make it a rough as well. Its kind of stacking tolerances. I use the FCD becuase I find it helps iron out any bulges in the cases after seating a bullet.

Thats what i use as well. When they used to size them .401 I had the same issue you describe when they went .400 the problem went away.

Measure some and see what they actually are. For me a bullet thats .401 will run pretty smooth but anythong over it gets rough. Also some brass is thicker which will make it a rough as well. Its kind of stacking tolerances. I use the FCD becuase I find it helps iron out any bulges in the cases after seating a bullet.

Now you have me curious. I will measure some of the bullets and see if they are really .400...... maybe I will also make a video so you guys can see what it's doing.

yeah the only reason not to run the FCD is if you're running oversize cast (coated) bullets. in some cases the size of bullet + thickness of brass will mean that when passing through the FCD the bullet gets slightly swaged (not a good thing).

you can check this pretty easily by taking measurements before and after passing through the FCD. 

For case lube have you tried hornady one shot (the aerosol not the pump spray)? I use the lazy method which is chuck 200 or so cases into a massive ziplock bag, do 3 quick bursts of lube into the bag, seal it up, roll the brass around a bit, let it sit for a few min then just dump into the feeder. This method gets most of the lube on the outside but will get a bit into the case necks too which helps smooth out the expanding. my press runs much smoother with lube than without. 

22 hours ago, 3djedi said:

Undersizing/decapping in station 1 and the factory crimp in the last station.

I had an internal miscommunication within my rapidly depleting brain cells. 

I got confused with all the pros, cons and indifference discussions between the Lee Dies, EGW dies, Dillon Dies, sizing, decapping and crimping.  I got the two stations and their functions confused even though my press is set up and operating A OK.  Your post clarified everything in a simplistic manner that I should have been able to remember and not get confused when reading the posts.

Thanks

I have not had any issues with Blue bullets in a long time, but you could have gotten some that have a little thicker coating on them. If you are running a U die and not lubing the cases I have found this will cause the press to run rough as well. I know a lot of people do not like the FCD but if everything else is right it really does not do anything but crimp. If you have some bulge it will iron that out. As far as swaged bullets, I have never had an issue it will squeeze them down some but I have never had accuracy issues nor problems with leading with coated bullets.

It could be something else causing the rough cycling of the press but the bullets are what I would check first. If you have any other bullets to try see if the problem persists with a different bullet.

Edited by SWprotected

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:10 PM, 3djedi said:

I using blue bullets. They claim to be .400

I am loading .45 and went from the Dillon die to the FCD and found the press was way harder to operate than it was before the die. I too am using Blue Bullets in the press. Using the Dillon die some rounds were almost snug when barrel checking but with the FCD the rounds seemed almost loose. It's a dilemma for me on which die to use as the press is so buttery smooth with the dillon die installed.

I did measure my blue bullets. On my Cabela brand digital calipers I was getting .401, .402, .403. But with a pair of old dial calipers it was reading .400 and .399.

I don't trust those digital calipers for reliable readings. At least not the fairly inexpensive cabela brand. Lol

I use the fcd in the bulge buster on my brass first, the brass is clean and shot with one shot.

I use the u die in my first station.

I just seat in the 4th station and taper crimp in the 5th.

This what works for me using acme and bbi. Haven't used jacketed or plated in years. Love the coated

Todd, On my 1050 I get about 1-2% failure rate from brass that is buldged using all Dillon dies. I adjusted the crimp die by finding one and wouldnt gauge and then adding some crimp until it fits the hundo gauge. take some of your failed rounds and see if its near the bullet or base that is preventing them from gauging.

Todd, On my 1050 I get about 1-2% failure rate from brass that is buldged using all Dillon dies. I adjusted the crimp die by finding one and wouldnt gauge and then adding some crimp until it fits the hundo gauge. take some of your failed rounds and see if its near the bullet or base that is preventing them from gauging.

Thanks..... yep I ended up using the dillon dies and adding more crimp to get them to gauge . ..... well, most of them maybe 2 or 3 out of 100. The ones that don't I run through the Lee factory crimp die and almost all will case gauge after that.

It's crimp leaves a little bit of a ring on the bullet but they still seem to plenty accurate.