Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot my first steel match

Tubguy

I have a decked out ruger 22/45 - compensator, all volquartsen internals (2lb trigger w/ adjustable pre/post travel), 90 degree c-more mount, aluminum click cmore with 6 and 16 moa dots, 7 mags, pelican case etc. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Plenty of places will make one to your specs also. TacSol and VQ offer their own guns setup. I prefer building my own. I experimented with different things back about 6 years ago or so. Even did some testing for another site. But these days what works covers a lot of different things such that you can build something to your esthetic tastes that still performs as well as anything else. I still try a few things from some venders but the differences are small in many cases such that different people will often like slightly different setups. Buying one off the shelf doesn't mean you won't modify it in the future, just means that you should not until you can outshoot the gun.

It's hard to get "less expensive" than a S&W Victory/FFIII sight (careful shopping, maybe $700-$750 for package). Mine eats anything I feed it and shoots .5-inch (or less) five round 25 yard bench rest groups. Standard 5.5 bull barrel. Strips for cleaning easy. Has 3.15 pound trigger. The interchangeable iron sight/Picatinny rail system top mount makes it a pretty versatile gun... from the factory. Extra mags are available from S&W. I have 5, which is all I need for Steel Challenge.

Only two complaints. (1) The grips are small for me and no one is offering target grips yet. Skateboard tape and attention to proper grip fixed it for me. (2) The thumb safety is easily applied. I make a habit of checking it as I get my grip  before each string. I'm only Class B, but haven't shot more than a dozen matches, and wouldn't be classed any higher with another gun anyway. I'm happy with it, and have retired my Ruger MKII to back up use.

It doesn't have a comp, but I can't see any use for one on a .22LR shooting standard velocity 40 grain loads. Recoil? What recoil? My dot doesn't move.

Edited by GOF
editted to add thoughts on comps on .22LR

The OP may have seen a custom built .22lr open gun built on a 1911 or 2011 frame with a Nelson or Marvel railed and comp'd upper.  I'm building one now.  To the OP, unless you already have a built lower to fit the upper onto (ie, a preexisting 1911 or 2011 that you're willing to share the .22lr upper with) that sort of thing is best left to an experienced gunsmith, and to be honest I'd try to find one with experience in building rimfire competition guns, as rumfires tend to have a personality if their own.  Even with a preexisting frame, I would expect to do some fitting to get the mags to function 100% of the time.