Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 19 Compensator Problems

Oregonlaw76

Hoping I might get some advice on either getting this setup running or giving up on it:

I bought a Glock 19 MOS and was hoping to make it work as a competition gun.  I have a Delta point attached, the trigger and extras I want and the pistol ran great.  I got a deal on a YHM compensator and liked the looks of it so I got a Lone Wolf threaded barrel and attached it.  Of course, after it wouldn't even pick up the next round off the mag.  So I got a Jager Gen 4 guide rod and a 15 and 13 lb springs.  The 15 seems still too much weight, as the gun malfunctions by the bottom of the slide getting caught on the top of the next round (generally the rim).  The 13 seems too light, as the rounds nose dive.  At that weight, just taking the slack out of the trigger brings the slide back.  

I've tried everything from 115g to 147g, and all factory.

So, is this just an impossible set up?  Does the YHM brake just let too much gas escape?  I would appreciate if can advise on just getting rid of the brake completely or is there something I'm missing?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by Oregonlaw76

Take the comp off and see if gun runs with the new barrel only.

Find what the problem is one step at a time.  Probably shouldn't run major through it w/o the comp. on it!  Also use the spring that came with the gun to test the barrel function.

Then go to the comp. The only thing that should happen is fteject do to the slide not coming back far enough, do to gas being bled off.

Good fortune

Thank you for your reply.  With the comp off and factory spring, it runs fine with the new barrel.  When I put the comp back on, you are correct slide doesn't come back far enough to pick up next round.  However, neither the 15 nor 13 lb spring run either.  I get the malfunctions described above unfortunately. 

Lighter springs than a 13 in a Glock is a no go. If you are trying to shoot factory loads then that is your problem. You will need +p at the very least for it to cycle properly. All of the gas that goes forward in a non comped gun helps cycle the slide, with a comp the gas is redirected up so most of what pushes the slide back is bled off by the comp.

Edited by MrPostman
Added content

The gun is being pulled out of battery because the striker spring is to strong for the recoil spring. The way glocks work these springs are working against each other when the trigger is pulled. Your going to need a lighter striker spring so you can run a light recoil spring. And then to make the whole thing work your probably going to need hotter ammo. 

Lets think a minute.... seems to me the gas going out the comp or out the end of the barrel would make no difference.  Gas is gone.  Seems to me, the comp is interfering with the slide function.  Nothing to do with the gas but just the actual weight of the comp pulling down on the front of the gun.  Something is interfering with the function.  Examine everything closely.  

21 minutes ago, mlmiller1 said:

Lets think a minute.... seems to me the gas going out the comp or out the end of the barrel would make no difference.   

But it does make a huge difference. The comps direct gas to reduce flip etc and what they do is bleed off energy. It's been done a hundred times where a comp gets stuck on the end of a gun and it won't cycle. It's a no brainer with minor ammo.

Also the advice to mate weak striker with weak recoil springs is sound. Mismatch them too much and you'll get light strikes or even OOB firing. BUT, you often have to run a lightened and lengthened striker when you reduce the spring enough to matter.

Glocks are tricky to get working if you try to do too much with them. If you want to shoot the dot just shoot it in CO with stock barrel and trigger parts. Much less hassle.

The spring balance to get a Glock rocking with a good comp is a tricky balance but very doable.  The 10, 11, 12 pound recoil springs require a very light striker spring. A striker spring light enough in this case may only light Federal primers reliably. Welcome to making a Glock fun and finicky. 

I run Carver's spring stuff in my open minor Glock. 

In my G22 with a 9mm barrel and alpha wolf comp, a slightly lightened slide I have to run a 11lb spring for it RO run with my regular minor ammo (124gr bullets with tight group) it will run with with 115s and slow powder but I have to bump up the load a bit and the brass only goes about 6"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk