Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B roller handle... necessary, or nicety?

Fatso

Is it absolutely necessary? No, obviously ball handles do the job.

Is the Dillon unit a nice upgrade? Yes, very much so.

Is the Inline Fab unit even nicer? Yes.

If/when I purchase another Dillon press then the Inline Fabrication roller handle will be purchased shortly thereafter.

2 hours ago, buckaroo45 said:

Had an interference fit on my 550B w/ roller handle when I installed a case feeder. Had to rotate the handle about 45 degrees clockwise. Did kinda decrease the effectiveness of the roller handle.  

Was that with the Dillon handle or the Inline Fabrication handle?  Good info to know.... 

This was several years back and obviously my 70 year old memory is crappy. This is the device I had which has nothing to do with either mfg you mentioned so just ignore my comments above. I gotta start drinking better bourbon. Nothing to see here ....  move along .......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roller-Handle-Works-With-Dillon-RL-550-XL-650-Square-Deal-Presses-/272384991335?hash=item3f6b692067:m:mmD0NE4F2Yjg3GX_Gs_JWYA

BTW - In all fairness this handle did work perfectly w/o the case feeder

• 3 months later...

Don't have a pic, but all you do is take a baby sock (or small child's sock) an put it on over the ball on the handle...kind of like a sock puppet on your ball handle (holy cow that sounds disgusting!!).  Provides a tiny bit of cushion and a huge reduction in the friction on your palm. 

On the 550 I have to remove my hand from the handle anyway to feed a case, so the roller handle isn't as big of an improvement as it is on the 650 where my hand never leaves the roller handle if all is going well. 

The roller handle should come from the factory.  It is so good that the ball handle should be permanently obsoleted and the cost of the machine incremented to make the roller handle standard.  No one would care.  Roller handle is like a McLaren, ball handle is like a wheelchair.

15 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

The roller handle should come from the factory.  It is so good that the ball handle should be permanently obsoleted and the cost of the machine incremented to make the roller handle standard.  No one would care.  Roller handle is like a McLaren, ball handle is like a wheelchair.

If I understand you correctly you are one of the people who prefer the roller type over the ball type. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have one of each the Dillon roller and the stock ball on two different presses. To me they both have good and bad points. I like the way the ball feels settling primers. But for long sessions the roller feels better after a hour in. 

Fair enough. As it is, I haven't been having any problems, and I only load for an hour or so at a time. Guess I'll stick with the baby sock mod for awhile, until I find a deal on a roller.

Thanks for the words, everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...