Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B roller handle... necessary, or nicety?

Fatso

Hi gents.

I'm in the process of configuring my two 550b presses (long story), and I'm wondering if the roller handle is worth the money over the stock handle?

If so, why?

Seems like a lot of money for an option.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, rhowell309 said:

Depends on your definition of necessary, but it would be my first addition if I did it over again. And IMO, the Inline Fabrication handle is nicer than the Dillion.

I set my 650 right off the bat with an Inline Fab handle so I have nothing to compare it to but it is sweet.

I bad a regular ball and upgraded with a roller handle. It allows my to get into a better rythem than the ball. For me it was worth the money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have the Dillon roller handle on all three presses.  I'm also going to try the Inline Fabrication handle in the near future.  I was loading a lot at one time and started having problems that were similar to arthritis.  Switched to roller handles and no more problems.  

Before the roller handle, I used a cotton glove on the hand or the toe end of an old sock over the ball. That allows the ball to turn in your hand without friction. Then I made my own roller handles and prefer them.

6 hours ago, Toolguy said:

Before the roller handle, I used a cotton glove on the hand or the toe end of an old sock over the ball. That allows the ball to turn in your hand without friction.

+1 re: avoiding hand-on-ball friction.  ;)  I used to put a glove on my handle hand as it made it more comfortable for long reloading sessions.  Then I got the Dillon roller handle.  I got the plastic handled one because at the time I think it had a different shaped handle than the aluminum model and after discussion with a friendly Dillon rep, I chose the plastic.  I've been happy.

It may have just been me but be aware that I think the roller handle allows you to more easily put leverage/power into the stroke because I wasn't being very careful once and crunched in a crooked primer and set it off.  At little startling but no worse for wear.

Edited by one-gun

• 2 weeks later...
On August 27, 2016 at 10:51 PM, Dirty Rod said:

I have one of each on two presses. After 15k rounds or so on each, I actually prefer the factory ball handle.

+1 on my 550.

The ball can just roll in my palm and does not dictate hand position, more comfortable for me, so I sold the roller. 

1 hour ago, jrguar said:

You will definitely appreciate the roller handle especially when doing those marathon loading sessions. I am not sure why Dillon doesn't just make it the standard handle eliminate the ball ? 

I think the ball is actually ergonomically more sound. If you hold your arm with your hand in front of you your palm will naturally be facing down, and if you have your arms relaxed at your sides your palms will naturally be facing your body. With the roller you constrain the natural pivot of your arm and I think the end result is that you ask more from your shoulder joint (at least I wonder if that contributed to me getting 'frozen shoulder syndrome' (a build up of scar tissue at the shoulder ball socket joint) after thousands of rounds with the roller). 

Probably at the end of the day whatever feels best likely is best for you, and differences in how we are constructed and how we position ourselves when reloading (I stand) probably play a part in what works best.