Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just do it?

Fatso

14 hours ago, Fatso said:

It's nice to hear what others do to get / stay motivated. It ebbs and flows, so getting exercise into the routine is imperative.

It needs to be as normal as showering & brushing your teeth. It doesn't need to be much either. Something every day is better than nothing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been eating good again and surprisingly have had no trouble with it. I was on a really strict diet during my collegiate triathlon days  and that all but broke me of dieting. I have yet to find the motivation to get back in the gym but I've started with a healthy dose of calisthenics and dusted off the spin bike. It has actually been enjoyable and I know it will only help my shooting. 

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/27/2016 at 10:52 AM, Fatso said:

So,

I'm certain I'm not alone here, but I just crested 40, and I'm having the worst time getting myself to the gym / out to run.  I have never enjoyed running, and merely tolerated the gym.  I have only really done enough to just get by with the minimum acceptable PT standards in the Air Force (which, historically, isn't difficult), but I need / want to be faster (and shed this 20 lbs hanging around my waist).  I'm just not super disciplined at getting off my butt.

What do you guys use / how do you motivate to get out and "just do it"?  Gym membership?  Peer pressure?  Fitness watch that tells you to get off your butt?

Thanks guys!

FATSO

Find a younger woman.........nothing motivates a man like a young woman especially if SHE likes to work out.

• 2 months later...

I think you said you have 2 girls.  My 5 year old son is my main motivation.  I want to : A) be around and healthy for a long time for him and B )I want to set a good example for him.   I agree that diet is 90% of the battle.  I’ve lost a little over 70lbs in the last 6 months.  Here’s what I’ve done.

I’ve bought into and commited to diet and excercise.  Even on weeks when my weight fluctuates I tell my self it is going to work.  And it has.  

I’ve built a network of friends and family I can talk to and get encouragement from.

I’ve made a lifestyle change the goal and not the weight loss.

Specifics:

I use a calorie counting app

Work set me up with a program called     Narurally Slim and Biometric screening

I do cardio of some sort 6-7 times a week.

I like running so I’ve been training for a 5k in July.  I run 3-4 times a week and alternate speed and distance weeks.  I fill in the rest with walking, elliptical, and rowing machine.  I bring my son on the walks and am starting him running a little.

I’ve began weight training.  I do body weight stuff like 6 days a week.  I added free weights and leg presses to overcome shin splints about 4 months ago.  Heavy weights for the legs add agility.  I mean heavy in a relative sense.  I’m no where near the level of some of the guys I see.  Like 180-225 is a lot for me on the leg presses and I see guys regular 360+

As a side benefit and motivation enhancer it has improved my match performance.

• 2 months later...

All the theories of motivation, e.g. want to get healthier, look better, don’t work for a lot of people, including me.

I think for the most part it’s backwards: you don’t get motivated then take action, you get motivated after taking action.

So, the Nike slogan is accurate. Just do it.