Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Racker for STI Trubor

Shooter94

Just bought a sti trubor but it won't be here for 10 weeks. While looking at pictures of a stock gun there is not a dovetail cut for a rear sight  so no place for a slide Racker. I was wondering if anyone has had one put on their trubor and if so what one did you purchase and what location did you put it to the slide?

49 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: If you are going to use an upright mount then the Zig racker or the Shooters Connection racker works well. If you are using a setback 90 degree mount then the Shooters Connection mount is the one I use. Thanks, Eric

Eric, do you prefer the XL or the standard with the 90 degree?

29 minutes ago, js1130146 said:

Eric, do you prefer the XL or the standard with the 90 degree?

If you use a 90 you almost need the XL versions or it's not worth doing. I had a sidewinder standard and XL fitted when I was thinking of switching mounts. VERY GLAD I DID

Does using a slide racker mess with your mojo when you cross divisions?

I currently shoot my Trubor (without a slide racker) in steel matches, but limited or SS in USPSA.

(yes, I realized I should stick with one, but I just can't do it!)

Hello: Sorry for the late reply I have been busy shooting the Georgia State match this weekend and working it also. I do use the Shooters Connection XL racker and fit it to the type of 90 degree mount being used. If I find a pic I will post it for you. You have to also heat the racker up and bend it down to clear the mount. I have also used the Zig long racker but I find it is too long and needs some trimming to clear the mount and my hand. I have big hands and when a racker hits your thumb it kinda hurts. Thanks, Eric

12 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Sorry for the late reply I have been busy shooting the Georgia State match this weekend and working it also. I do use the Shooters Connection XL racker and fit it to the type of 90 degree mount being used. If I find a pic I will post it for you. You have to also heat the racker up and bend it down to clear the mount. I have also used the Zig long racker but I find it is too long and needs some trimming to clear the mount and my hand. I have big hands and when a racker hits your thumb it kinda hurts. Thanks, Eric

No problem. I am using the Cheely 90 setback

I quite like the sidewinder XL too but just be aware it's oversize in a number of dimensions and needs quite a bit of both fitting work and then finishing/polishing if you want a neat job.

Eric's install above is very nice. :)

The brazos zigracker is more $ but has the advantage of being a finished piece that you simply cut the slide to suit. it also has the balls and springs in the racker saving you from that task too. 

For me the zigracker XL works fine. it clears my cheely setback 90 mound (only just) and clears my hand/thumb no problem. it is a very long racker though (personally I like it!).

Both are good options. I also like the cheely XL. It can be bent up if needed and cut to legth if you find it too long. It comes from cheely much closer to a finished spec (it's dovetail part is very close to size). so there's less finishing work on it though you do still need to install either ball detent or set screw. It's a very nicely made piece though. 

also no it doesn't mess up how I rack other guns.

Basically an open gun without a racker is an awkward thing to rack. you cannot use the front serrations at all. you have to rack from the rear and basically pinch the slide and rack it. it's more of a fine motor skill as you're avoiding the scope mount etc.

on guns without a scope I rack generally at the forward serrations using the web of my weak hand. totally different actions.

sweeping the racker as needed (unloaded starts, malfunction etc) becomes very much second nature. :)

12 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Her is the pics of the TruBor I did a while back. Shooters Connection XL racker with a detent installed in the slide. Cheely setback mount from Shooters Connection as well. Thanks, Eric

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

Thank you sir. Looks like I have some thing to work on while I'm waiting for my chamber reamer to get in