Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the point in Aimpoint on open pistol

juristrosins

I doubt anyone will laugh at your gun.  If they do, those aren't the type of people I'd like to associate with anyway.  Let your shooting do the talking :)

I've got an open gun with the Tasco PDP sight, I like it.  I tried the C-More but keep returning to the PDP, it just indexes faster for me.  BTW, I heard about the PDP being fragile, so I have 4 more in  my safe.  So far, I'm still on the first one.

4 hours ago, Wa3gunNewb said:

Redfisher that 1996 pistol is a baby compared to mine.

My only competitive shooting so far has been casual speed steel at a local club but I want to start shooting ipsc. I do okay with my 9mm S&W CORE and Trijicon RMR on plates but the urge to try a 2011 style pistol wouldn't go away!

Walked up to a local gun counter recently and found an early Tripp framed 2011. When I got it home I started trying to learn more about the platform and found pictures of my actual gun online.  Apparently it was made for an old president of the uspsa/ipsc and has appeared in a few magazine articles. 

The price seemed good considering the shape of the gun and 5 included magazines so I bought it. It could probably use a new guide rod, new springs as i dont know their age or round count, and i plan to replace the slide stop as it has been dimpled so it wont engage manually.

I'm sure I will get laughed at by the guys with the new high end 2011's for my old relic, but I figured the history of its original owner in the sports beginnings made it kind of cool for me to start with.

So far I have only shot some 225gr Winchester white box through it but it shoots amazing and smoother then anything I have ever felt

Here is my vintage pistol:

20160925_044859_crop_861x637.jpg

The one in the picture was built in 96-97. The one just out of the picture is a good bit older with a PDP 2 in a Redbuff mount. I also have a first gen caspian that I shot for a couple years before that one. My very first open gun was a single stack 10mm with Iron sights, which was pretty quickly converted to 38 super single stack w/ a 

PDP II

I would ignorant to claim I know next to anything about the 2011 guns but felt this one was clean, tight and in great shape at a price I could easily afford to get me going.

Haven't done anything except zero the aimpoint and plink with it but so far I am giddy as a school girl. It runs likes it's on ball bearings and shoots lights out even though the cheap ball ammo probably isn't producing enough gas to adequately run the compensator.

Coming from the CORE/Trijicon combo this thing tracks like it has eyes. I may eventually upgrade the sight as i learn what I like but I can't ask for more right now