Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the point in Aimpoint on open pistol

juristrosins

Read some topics (I suspect that not all...) about tube style red dot scopes like Aimpoint, but haven't seen any assumptions why tube scope was chosen over c-more or any other compact red dot sight. Any of you shooting with tube? As of now I'm very pleased with my C-More slide ride. I do not like compact sights (probably it means that I did not shoot with them enough). Trying to widen my horizons... so - why would I or would not choose aimpoint for my next open gun setup?

Are you specifically talking about the H1 or T1?  I would think that their other optics would be too heavy for an open gun. 

I thought about placing an H1 on an open gun.  It is a very durable sight.  I think the three biggest things against it are, size of the window, price, and its only available in 2 and 4 MOA.  Also, I have not seen alot of mount options for the optic.  While I haven't seen one in person, I would think that it would sit a bit higher than a slide ride which many people wouldn't like.

At the end of the day, the slide ride is a proven sight that comes in at a reasonable price.  Other than battery life, I do not know if you would gain too much by going to an aimpoint. I personally just transitioned from a slide ride to the latest version of the RTS2 and I am loving it.  So far, I have not even noticed the smaller window when shooting.  I love the fact that it sits lower to the slide and I can think less about the offset when shooting partials.  I will have to wait and see if it holds up. 

I've got a few "old style" guns with a Tasco PDP red dots.  I tried the C-More but because I don't often shoot open, I can pick up the dot faster with the tube style sight.  I suspect it's because I use the tube for my initial alignment.  It is slightly heavier and the Tasco is supposed to be susceptible to breakage, so I found 4 spares, just in case.  

The T1/H1 scopes have some nice mounts out there that mount it sideways from the right side of the gun, and are pretty low. However I think that the reason you don't see them much is because they are

A: really expensive comparatively

and

B: not what the pros use. And people like to use what the pros use. 

Back when I started all we had were tube sights, tasco pdp 2,3,4 and aimpoints

the tasco's would break fairly quickly, so we would send them out to a dot doctor to bulletproof and wait for them to break

adco had a tube sight that was bullet proofed, and I broke one of those

the aimpoints just kept going, battery life sucked on the early one, but they all sucked back then

the biggest advantage of a tube sight over a c-more for a new shooters is it's easier find the dot on the draw.

which is something that a few hours of dry fire to learn how to index a c-more would solve

Years ago I used one in my Open Glock 17. Its expensive but didnt last. The first one last less than 3k rounds iirc. The second one went south in less than 50 rounds! The 3rd went to my shotgun with least usage. I gave up and went with the Cmore slideride. 

By d way Aimpoint replaced the first unit so the second and third ones were warranty replacements. 

The aimpoints are more reliable and more accurate method of zeroing than the cmore but they are bigger, heavier, more expensive and less dot options and mount options...

back in the day the aimpoint comp was the sight to have. Then came the cmore slideride and its maintained its popularity to now. 

Ok, folks, now it seems clear to me, that tube style sights is more or less legacy and personal affection thing. Was thinking to get one of those for my second open gun setup, just to get taste of it. Looks like the best option is to keep consistent and put the same 90deg slideride on it.

Thank you for your input!

On 8/26/2016 at 5:25 PM, redfisher said:

Like this one? Circa 1996 (though I still shoot it)  it's definitely a conversation piece.

Jeff

pistols copy.jpg

Im assuming Geo, George the owner of EGW,  built that gun. That will last forever.

I have an AP on my 40 S&W Springer Franken Blaster Open rig. I run it because I can dial up 2-4-6-or 8 MOA dot and 11 different brightness levels. I can shoot in a dimly lit range or bright sunlight, small dot for 8" plates (my nemesis) or big dot for Steel Challenge. Yes it's heavy and ungainly but failing eyesight and neuropathy of the hands makes you adapt and overcome. I had a Doctor on a 627 Smith for Steel Challenge back in 2010. Had an RO comment it looked like I was swatting flies while trying to find the dot in bright Florida sun. Funny now, not so much then. Oooops! My bad Don't have an AP. I have a Millet. See pic.

NRA Life and Endowment

OPEN 2.JPG

Edited by buckaroo45
correction

7 hours ago, bigboy69 said:

Im assuming Geo, George the owner of EGW,  built that gun. That will last forever.

yep, George build me 4 guns back in the 90's. those two open guns, a 45. on a Para Frame and a commander sized 45.

Jeff

those EGW opens are cool! are they build on a tripp hi-cap frame?

BTW the guys in bianchi cup still rate the aimpoint comp as the optic to have. cmore sliderides achieve the zero adjustment by exerting pressure under the plastic piece that holds the glass. it's not a linear adjustment and also means that the windage adjustment affects the elevation. aimpoints on the other hand have a internal tube type system and are moving the dot module relative to the glass in very precise increments. and it holds zero very solidly.

it's just no longer the most 'suitable' optic for USPSA type shooting. 

Mine is built on a Tripp Research frame. The one redfisher has said his was built on a Para Frame. A couple that Tomasie has from Geo were built on Caspian frames.

12 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

those EGW opens are cool! are they build on a tripp hi-cap frame?

BTW the guys in bianchi cup still rate the aimpoint comp as the optic to have. cmore sliderides achieve the zero adjustment by exerting pressure under the plastic piece that holds the glass. it's not a linear adjustment and also means that the windage adjustment affects the elevation. aimpoints on the other hand have a internal tube type system and are moving the dot module relative to the glass in very precise increments. and it holds zero very solidly.

it's just no longer the most 'suitable' optic for USPSA type shooting. 

Cool. Those old EGW open guns on the Tripp frames (didn't know some were parra) must have been the ducks nuts at a time when plenty of guys were shooting single stack 1911's with basic comps. 

They are probably still competetive guns. :)

The one gun I have from EGW was built by Geo and it has a Tripp Research frame, just like the STI frame.

I had the gun converted from 38 Super to 9mm by Randy Hollowbush, The Handgunner and it is now my steel gun.

13346664_1401860206506494_8131216778032936439_n.jpg

Both my EGW open guns were built on 2nd or 3rd gen caspian frames, I have a first generation caspian built by another gunsmith, the frame never cracked but I sent it out to have it welded anyway. the problem with these guns are the magazines they just don't pull apart and clean easily.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Redfisher that 1996 pistol is a baby compared to mine.

My only competitive shooting so far has been casual speed steel at a local club but I want to start shooting ipsc. I do okay with my 9mm S&W CORE and Trijicon RMR on plates but the urge to try a 2011 style pistol wouldn't go away!

Walked up to a local gun counter recently and found an early Tripp framed 2011. When I got it home I started trying to learn more about the platform and found pictures of my actual gun online.  Apparently it was made for an old president of the uspsa/ipsc and has appeared in a few magazine articles. 

The price seemed good considering the shape of the gun and 5 included magazines so I bought it. It could probably use a new guide rod, new springs as i dont know their age or round count, and i plan to replace the slide stop as it has been dimpled so it wont engage manually.

I'm sure I will get laughed at by the guys with the new high end 2011's for my old relic, but I figured the history of its original owner in the sports beginnings made it kind of cool for me to start with.

So far I have only shot some 225gr Winchester white box through it but it shoots amazing and smoother then anything I have ever felt

Here is my vintage pistol:

20160925_044859_crop_861x637.jpg

Edited by Wa3gunNewb
Added picture

On 8/26/2016 at 10:59 AM, kmca said:

I've got a few "old style" guns with a Tasco PDP red dots.  I tried the C-More but because I don't often shoot open, I can pick up the dot faster with the tube style sight.  I suspect it's because I use the tube for my initial alignment.  It is slightly heavier and the Tasco is supposed to be susceptible to breakage, so I found 4 spares, just in case.  

I've went through 4 of the PDP's. Finally gave up on them and put a CMore on the gun.