Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me decide

BARRYJ

Time for a new rifle.  I have been shooting some benchrest out to 800 yards.  Also want something I can deer hunt with.  I currently have a Remington 700 in 270.  I shoot left handed so my choices are limited.   Trying to decide between a Tikka T3x Hunter in 260 and a Remington 700sps Varmint in 243.  The Remington has a heavy barrel and is about $100 cheaper.  The Tikka is a hunting rifle I can shoot from the bench and the Remington is a bench rifle I can hunt with.  I plan on reloading for whichever one I choose, but don't have any dies or components for either.

The Tikka has a great reputation for accuracy, but the Remington is probably is much better to build on. I have a .260 that is great for anything I hunt, mainly white tailed deer and hogs. I call my .260 a .243 magnum, you can load it with bullets weighing anywhere from 95 grains to 160 grains to cover just about anything on the North American Continent.Hornady, Nosler and Berger all make great long range bullets for the 6.5mm guns. Mine is built on a Remington action with a Krieger heavy barrel and is supremely accurate.