Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Gauge Shockbottle question. Undersized Die?

Timido

Will do. It's crazy to me.

Do the "failures" pass a plunk test in your barrel? Because the barrel is the only gauge that really matters. If you haven't changed anything on your reloading setup and the ammo has been working it would imply the case gauge is undersized for whatever reason.

The only perfect test for your ammo is plunk test them in your barrel , thats what i do for my match ammo .

For practice ammo i just load them and shoot them , never had a faillure so i think case gauges are a waist of money .

i dont want ammo that fits in a gauge i want ammo that works in my gun .

Edited by Tino2212

1 hour ago, Tino2212 said:

The only perfect test for your ammo is plunk test them in your barrel , thats what i do for my match ammo .

For practice ammo i just load them and shoot them , never had a faillure so i think case gauges are a waist of money .

i dont want ammo that fits in a gauge i want ammo that works in my gun .

The trick is to learn what fails gauging will still work in your gun. There is a point where failures stop working in the gun. This allows super fast gauging without tearing guns apart etc. In a very short time you will learn what really needs to go to the junk bucket

On 9/24/2016 at 4:26 PM, Gooldylocks said:

Just tested my ammo against another hundo. It is definitely way tighter than it should be.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Silly question, but have you cleaned your hundo? Could have some smootz in the holes. What is your crimp diameter? How are they failing?

My experience is the exact opposite of yours. Loaded several hundred before the gauge came, had no idea if they would fit... Checked 300 and they all passed without issue.  Just got it 2 weeks ago from BSPS, silver/clear ano finish.

Silly question, but have you cleaned your hundo? Could have some smootz in the holes. What is your crimp diameter? How are they failing?

My experience is the exact opposite of yours. Loaded several hundred before the gauge came, had no idea if they would fit... Checked 300 and they all passed without issue.  Just got it 2 weeks ago from BSPS, silver/clear ano finish.

It's clean. Crimping 376. Failing before the extractor groove, mostly.

Mine is about a month old at this point, from BSPS, and is the clear one. What is the model number etched into yours? Cause I'm like 99.2% sure it's way too tight.

6 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

You got me then. Have you seen Shockbottle's "FAQ" page? Good bit of info:  http://www.shockbottle.com/faq.html 

Since 9x19 has been made for more than a hundred years in a vast number of countries, specifications and dimensions for it are all over the map. The 9 Match and 9 Supermatch gauges (the difference is the 9x19 Match is anodized while the 9x19 Supermatch is not) are reamed very close to the SAAMI minimum chamber spec and will sometimes reject a surprising amount of ammunition. This is good if you only want the very best ammunition for your tight-chambered custom gun or extra reliability for a big match, but could be annoying if you have a looser-chambered production gun. Most users will be happier with the regular 9x19 which is made a few thousandths of an inch larger.

Perhaps this is the issue? 

Very well could be but mine is not anodized.  What got me by total surprise is that zero rounds have failed the gauge. I'm using a Lee sizing die, nothing special or undersized. Along with BBI 125 lead bullets at .356, crimped at .376.

Worth an email or call to Shockbottle.