Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Gauge Shockbottle question. Undersized Die?

Timido

I just got a 9mm shockbottle case gauge.  I just ran 100 rounds to see how they work in the case gauge.   I had probably 10 rounds that the Hundo gauge would not plunk in .  Those same rounds passed My lyman gauge and my Cz barrel  .  What should I do to tighten up the rounds so they will gauge the Shockbottle gauge.   This load is 160g Bayou 1.14 OAL    I am using a Dillon 650 with Regular  Lee sizing die.  Mr Bullet feeder Funnel Dillon Taper crimp die.      Would the Undersized EGW die help me in this case?  

Thanks Tim 

Is it the standard 100 round gauge or the tighter one they made? The tighter version is really tight so I use the standard model. Everything I load passes the gauge except damaged or split cases. I use either LEE standard die or EGW Udie

I just started using DAA gauge also...  It's tighter than Wilson and Dillon cars gauge.    I currently am set up on all Dillon dies.   Do you think the U die really makes much difference,.  I'm told the Dillon 9mm Is close to U die  specs.    I have one new in tube and am debating if I should put it in classifieds and just cull out known offenders. Cbc, Anguilla and, recently pierce.  

7 minutes ago, Timido said:

As far as I know it is the standard one I got it from Dawsons.

If you can figure out how the rounds are failing you can save some time. If not add slightly more crimp and see if they pass. If that doesn't work then lower the sizer until it's kissing the shell plate.

make sure you lube the cases as it  really produces much more uniformly sized cases. Then for the Hundo to work best try to get some of the lube off the loaded rounds. Believe it or not with a nice gauge even a small spec of crud can keep a round from dropping in all the way

What Sarge said. If I have a round that doesn't go in the hundo, I pull it out first and wipe around the case rim, check inside the hole for crud, then re-insert. Usually drops right in. I usually don't qc fail rounds unless they stop in the gauge way before the case rim.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Dillon die close to udie specs? That's not true. The udie is .001 smaller and sizes much much lower on the case

guess i'm installing u die tomorrow

i got my DAA used i was getting a high percentage of failures turns out gauge was dirty...  i just spray it out with air.  

Thanks Top

Edited by biglou13

I use a Dillon sizing die and Lee Factory Crimp die in both a 550 and a 650. I have the standard Shockbootle gauge, unanodized from Stoeger Proshop. 

I never have a failure except, as Sarge says, the case is cracked or otherwise damaged unless I fail to crimp a round to no more than 0.380. I usually strive for 0.378. These are 9 mm in case I did not say how that. A small spec of dirt or powder in the gauge will look look like a failure . The first thing I try is blowing out the hole with canned air.

Measure across the case mouth of the finished round and make sure you are crimping enough. You should not be having this problem. 

15 hours ago, Timido said:
15 hours ago, Timido said:

I just got a 9mm shockbottle case gauge.  I just ran 100 rounds to see how they work in the case gauge.   I had probably 10 rounds that the Hundo gauge would not plunk in .  Those same rounds passed My lyman gauge and my Cz barrel  .  What should I do to tighten up the rounds so they will gauge the Shockbottle gauge.   

Thanks Tim 

I would ditch the Case gauge if the rounds fit your barrel and a different Case gauge !

your question could also be read as :

i just bought a new pair of shoes but my feet don't fit in them ,how do i get my feet smaller so they do ?

for what its wort i never Case cauge , the only  thing i do is barrel drop my match ammo , never had a malfunction caused 

by my ammo .

I called Dawson.  I had no idea they had 2 different gauges match and super match.  The silver one I bought is super match  is tighter than the anodized one. 

They sent me a return slip and I am getting the regular match one.   

Thanks for the help guys I will let you know how it goes

Once you get the correct size Shockbottle gauge, you will wonder how you ever got by without one.  Have 9mm and 40 cal.

+1 Have 9mm and 45 ACP. Never truly appreciated until I started reloading 10mm and had to go back to gauging individual rounds.

Just makes so much sense, especially if you are storing ammo in hundred round boxes. Stoeger also has a shallow plastic tray that's a little easier then using two boxes to flip rounds over nose down.

M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, echotango said:

I have the black one and bought it from Dawson, never knew they had 2 versions. 

I think they changed colors at random. I have a "supermatch" that is black, and I've seen silver "supermatchs" and both colors of the standard hundo gauges. The way to know is if it says "supermatch" in the metal. You could probably measure the difference.

hundo full (Small).jpg

Edited by Bkreutz

7 hours ago, Timido said:

I called Dawson.  I had no idea they had 2 different gauges match and super match.  The silver one I bought is super match  is tighter than the anodized one. 

They sent me a return slip and I am getting the regular match one.   

Thanks for the help guys I will let you know how it goes

Yeah figured as much. The standard model is plenty tight

On 8/26/2016 at 1:44 PM, Tino2212 said:

I would ditch the Case gauge if the rounds fit your barrel and a different Case gauge !

your question could also be read as :

i just bought a new pair of shoes but my feet don't fit in them ,how do i get my feet smaller so they do ?

for what its wort i never Case cauge , the only  thing i do is barrel drop my match ammo , never had a malfunction caused 

by my ammo .

But he didn't buy shoes, he bought a car because it is way faster than a pair of shoes. The whole idea is to gauge 100 rounds at a time.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey so I bought one from BSPS here recently, and while it doesn't say "Match" or "Supermatch" or anything on it, I am getting probably close to 25-30% failures. That's crazy to me. Does anyone know if the part numbers are different, or what the measurements should be so I could try to throw the calipers on it?

I have tried both RCBS and dillon dies. I just got done loading my ammo for tomorrow's match, and I had literally 100 failures out of about 350 rounds I loaded. And of the ones I kept, not even all of them are perfectly flush, I just eliminated the worst offenders.

What gives? Dillon sizer adjusted down until it is touching the shell plate, range pickup 9mm.

1 hour ago, Gooldylocks said:

I had literally 100 failures out of about 350 rounds I loaded. And of the ones I kept, not even all of them are perfectly flush, I just eliminated the worst offenders.

What gives? Dillon sizer adjusted down until it is touching the shell plate, range pickup 9mm.

Same setup here but nothing like that failure rate.  Bring your duds to the match tomorrow and I'll bring my gauge and see if there is a difference.