Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for 9mm 124gr Minor & .223/5.56mm 55gr Recipes

RobE1010

I recently bit the bullet (and drained the bank account) and purchased a Dillon Super 1050 reloader with a complete Mark7 Autodrive setup for 9mm & .223/5.56mm. 

I am asking for any and all recipes you folks might have for 9mm to meet Minor PF for USPSA/IPSC Production, IDPA SSP/ESP, as well as Steel matches and general target shooting. Ideally, I would like to use the same basic load for various pistols including Glock 19/17/34, CZ SP01, EAA/Tango, and Sig P320. 

I am looking for 9mm loads using 124gr projectiles (have plenty on hand already) and either Titegroup, CFE Pistol or AutoComp powders (all on hand). As for .223/5.56mm, I will be using it for local 3Gun and carbine matches with a 55gr projectile and leaning towards Varget or CFE223 powders. 

Any and all recipes or help is greatly appreciated! Thanks all! 

124/125 gr bullet with TG depends a little on OAL and if it is plated/jacketed or coated. Somewhere in the mid to high 3.x should get you to minor. As an example I use 125 gr coated at 1.1" and 3.7 gr of TG. Lots and lots of loads listed in the 9mm/38 reloading forum. Minor with that weight and TG is pretty popular.

And good luck with .223.  Lots of good recipes, but you are going to want to buy a whole lot of one type of powder.  

Accurate brand powders are bad to the bone, but the best sell so so fast.  Try for 2230.  2200 is also excellent.

On 8/25/2016 at 11:11 PM, biglou13 said:

RobE, What powder are you planning to use for .223/5.56?

I am currently looking at either Varget or CFE223. However, I'm open to other suggestions. Going to be used for 3Gun and local carbine matches with a 55gr FMJ-BT. 

On 8/27/2016 at 8:40 AM, RobE said:

I am currently looking at either Varget or CFE223. However, I'm open to other suggestions. Going to be used for 3Gun and local carbine matches with a 55gr FMJ-BT. 

On 8/27/2016 at 8:40 AM, RobE said:

both good powders  varget is a classic.   some will say it doesn't meter well.  25 - 27 grain  is a good start.   if you have a scope google OCW testing  this way you will get maximum accuracy out of pill powder components and barrel.

what is twist rate or barrel?

right now im shooting 23.5 xbr under the 55gr   I need to test more.  but its making tiny groups and killing steel steel and paper for the 3g  2g trainning

Edited by biglou13

On 8/25/2016 at 7:05 PM, RobE said:

I am looking for 9mm loads using 124gr projectiles (have plenty on hand already) and either Titegroup, CFE Pistol or AutoComp powders (all on hand).

124 gr MG JHPs @ 1.075" OAL with 5 grains of CFE Pistol made 128.5 PF for me out of a Walther P99c.  All of your pistols have longer barrels, so you'll probably comfortably make minor with that or a few tenths less.

VP9 (4.1" barrel)

124gr RN-NLG Acme

3.8gr VV N320

1.045 COL  (can't go any longer otherwise fails the plunk test)

1050fts with 10fps standard deviation (130 PF) 

I like the accuracy and gentle recoil of this load, but yet to see how well it cycles being so short... probably going to find a different 124gr that i can load longer once i'm through this box of Acme's (or if they don't cycle for sh!t)

10 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

That seems a little short ???

I'd run a Plunk Test and see if you can make that a little longer :)

It's quite short, yes, but that's the longest that those bullets will plunk in that barrel.  I started out longer and kept seating deeper until it would drop in, spin, and drop out, and that's where I ended up.  Hornady XTPs are the same way.  Much like CZs, Walthers have short/tight chambers.  Even the MG 124 CMJ round nose won't consistently plunk past 1.125 or so.  Berry's plated round nose will do 1.15 no problem, but the MG bullets' profile is such that they have to be seated short for that gun.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't use those pistol powders. Well I've used TG with 147s and liked it.

Varget meters poorly, but shoots well, I have done load dev in .223 with it, but never bothered with it and 55fmjs.

CFE223 shot fairly well with 55s, but preferred the higher end, not at home pretty sure best groups were around 27gr, not ideal for bulk loading economics IMO.

RL10x at 21.5gr is my bulk loading powder of choice.

• 2 weeks later...

9mm

124 Berry's FP, 4.0gr TG, COL: 1.10"......very accurate, soft, and consistent load for minor.

124 Precision Delta JHP, 6.1gr HS-6, COL: 1.10".....very accurate and flat load for minor with a comp'd barrel (my 3 gun load)

Extreme 55gr FMJ, 25.0gr H-335, seated to cannelure......MOA accuracy out of a JP rifles barrel, perfect load to feed my Precision Armament M4-72 comp the magical amount of gas for perfect feel, overall a good cheap 3 gun load.