Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time draw to shot

biglou13

draw to first shot time (iron sight/ FO sight)  

264 members have voted

1. 1. average time from beep to first shot, a zone, 5 yards, feel free to post calssification in comments

• sub 0.8
    • sub 0.9
    • sub 1.0
    • sub 1.1
    • sub 1.2
    • sub 1.3
    • sub 1.4
    • sub 1.5
    • sub 1.6
    • sub 1.7
    • sub 1.9
    • sub 2.0
    • greater than 2.0

• 2 months later...

1 second at 5 yards is average for me. Gotten down to low .7s in practice but its not consistent enough to depend on it. Much lower than 1 is tough. I have to prep the trigger to make it happen. I'm an A class production guy and shoot a shadow. 

On December 19, 2016 at 7:57 PM, fastluck13 said:

This bell curve is hillarious. Next time you are running the clock at a match watch the first shot times. Will not look anything like this. 

But it is also extremely uncommon to have an open paper at 5 yards that you don't have to move to engage as the first array. 

1 hour ago, Gooldylocks said:

But it is also extremely uncommon to have an open paper at 5 yards that you don't have to move to engage as the first array. 

Fair enough. But when there is, these will not be the results. Look at 2016 open nationals. Stage 6 was a one shot quick draw stage. 1 second or better was 14th place or better. Nick Saiti won it with a .75. Only one person below .8. Just an observation.

Winning run https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWV15e0Bbs4&sns=em

https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-display-match-results-detail.php?indx=18846&division=Open&stage=6&guntype=Pistol

9 minutes ago, fastluck13 said:

Fair enough. But when there is, these will not be the results. Look at 2016 open nationals. Stage 6 was a one shot quick draw stage. 1 second or better was 14th place or better. Nick Saiti won it with a .75. Only one person below .8. Just an observation.

Winning run https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWV15e0Bbs4&sns=em

https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-display-match-results-detail.php?indx=18846&division=Open&stage=6&guntype=Pistol

I don't think this poll has anything to do with match times much less times at nationals. I could hit .6 on this in practice easily and do it over and over again, but I likely would be right around .8 - .9 at a match. Most shooters times between practice and matches would swing much more than .3ish. Just not a fair comparison.

The main reason this bell curve is inaccurate is the tiny sample size.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

12 minutes ago, zhunter said:

In practice I can keep it under .85

I don't check nor care in a match.  After I run a Match Stage all I care about are the hits and HF

A class CO

Why don't you care? Sure, hit factor is all that matters while you're shooting the match but when I get home and analyze my performance I want to look at every single piece of it including the draw times. Just looking at hits and hit factor doesn't tell the whole story. If you wanna build yourself into a better shooter, you gotta know what you're working with under match conditions.

9 hours ago, Jake Di Vita said:

Why don't you care? Sure, hit factor is all that matters while you're shooting the match but when I get home and analyze my performance I want to look at every single piece of it including the draw times. Just looking at hits and hit factor doesn't tell the whole story. If you wanna build yourself into a better shooter, you gotta know what you're working with under match conditions.

Jake, I push very hard in live and dry fire, so that pushes my speed, in a match I just shoot my dot, when I see it I fire.   I figure on a close hoser target I am in the 1.0 second range at a match.  I do get your point, and I will start checking things out.  That being said, matches in my area seldom have a "first" target that does not require movement.  For the most part I think it is typically classifier only.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been practicing quite a bit , CO with a Blade tech. True average is around 1.1. some in the .9's bit they get sloppy and grip is not optimum for second shot.

I had rather focus on a good solid grip draw that sets me up for a good run than a fast , poor grip that kills my stage.

My 22 year old son consistently is below 1. First trip out he was in the .8s.... Made me sick! I squandered my youth...

.79 - 1.04 consistent with a target focus. No need for a sharp front sight this close. I enjoy dry fire practice at this distance with a par at .60. It's hard for me to beat the timer
at .60 but the speed and conservation of motion feels great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

My average (...at the one live fire session I've done this year) was 1.07, hands at sides, alpha to 7 yards with plastic Production gun.  My fastest was .93.  I'm a mid-B class Production shooter who needs to practice lol

• 4 weeks later...

Lately in practice when cold I am down around 1-1.1 once warmed up I am seeing .85-.95 2011 out of a bladetech 

haven't checked the time in a match but guess would be around 1.1-1.2

Best so far is 1.07, usually around 1.3.

I did however draw and fire 3 rounds at 5 yards in 1.34s my splits are usually .17-.20

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Finally broke 1.00!! 0.93 seconds double action, Cz 75 sp-01 shadow alpha at 7 yards.

Don't know how I managed that, as I've not been practicing at all just shooting a match every weekend sometimes twice a weekend.

Splits are around .18-.14 now, usually alpha Charlie unless it's close by or hardcover where I actually have to aim but I slow down too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Shooting limited.  In a match had a stage with 3 no shoots covering most of target at 7yds.  .68 center A zone.  Most stages I am .8ish.  I am not real fast so I make up for speed by getting the most out of my draws and reloads.  Every tenth counts in this game.  If you can get .5 of a jump on the draw over the next guy, then you are taking 2-3 shots from him and that is huge!

I can do sub .8 for 5 yd A zone. 

M class production and limited. 

While I know how fast I can do this, I really don't worry about it at all.  Yes, we need fast draws and yes this is a game of .1 sec and tenths of points but a sub sec draw is a very small part of a stage. And a rock solid 1.2 sec draw is way better than an average 1.0 draw, IMO. 

Not to mention the disater factor goes way up trying to blow a smokin sub sec draw for a lot of shooters. 

I remember when I thought 1.5 was fast.  

For me personally, I want to get sub .2 transitions with all A's and close C's. Not fret about sub sec draws. Maybe one day when I'm destroying stages because my transitions are awesome and all my movement is perfect, then I'll come back and try to shave off a tenth for draws. 

Edited by B_RAD

• 1 month later...

I have had some seriously fast draws on a few stages and they were some of my worst stages ever. I had one draw that was .28 to an alpha. I threw 4 mikes on the stage. 

I need a second to get a good grip and shoot a good stage.