Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DVC Limited 9mm horrible accuracy

450AK

Does anyone have a load that shoots well in one of these? I've tried 4.7 grains of 231 and a 115 Extreme and they shot horrible. I also tried some PMC factory ammo and that wasn't any good either. 

They are running right around 1100fps or so. They were shooting 6-8" groups at 25 yards. The gun is brand new. It might get better once it's broke in a little but I was expecting much better. The factory ammo shot about the same. I shot my PM9 with the same ammo and was getting 2" groups at the distance. 

Check your OAL. Might be a short chamber.  I had the same issue with my shadow.  Take a bullet and place it into a fired case. Slowly press it into your barrel until it stops. Take it out and lightly mic the length. That number is your max OAL. Set your OAL at .02 less than the max and try it.

I'm going to try some 125 grain blue bullets this weekend. Hopefully they shoot much better. It is a limited gun so there is no optic and I checked to make sure the sights aren't loose. It may have a oversized bore. The gun locks up vault tight and the slide to frame fit is excellent so hopefully I can get it to shoot. 

On 8/25/2016 at 0:25 PM, toothguy said:

You might try using .357 dia bullets.  My Targetmaster 9 mm barrel slugs out at .356, and two other Tubors that I know of are also .356.  There is a definite accuracy improvement using .357 bullets.

+1 for exploring this possibility. I have an sti 9mm 1911 that doesn't like .355 ish bullets like xtremes. I literally couldn't keep 10 shots on paper at 25 yards. with .356 coated bullets it shoots great. haven't tried .357, but maybe I should. maybe sti makes loose 9mm barrels.

I just loaded up some 125 grain .355 blue bullets, some 125 grain .356 lead, 145 grain .356 lead and the only .357 Dia bullets I have are 110 grain XTPs. Don't know if they would be trying or not. Going to the range this afternoon. 

11 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

+1 for exploring this possibility. I have an sti 9mm 1911 that doesn't like .355 ish bullets like xtremes. I literally couldn't keep 10 shots on paper at 25 yards. with .356 coated bullets it shoots great. haven't tried .357, but maybe I should. maybe sti makes loose 9mm barrels.

A very accurate, reasonably priced, competition bullet for STI 9mm or 38 super (both .356) is the Zero .357, 125 gr JHP.  It's a revolver bullet with a cannelure but works just fine in an auto also.

• 11 months later...

I tried dozens of different load combinations and I never could get it to shoot. As much as I liked to look and feel of the DVC I just couldn't get an acceptable level of accuracy so I moved it on down the road. 

My DVC limited did horrible with 115s. It preferred long loaded 147s. If I recall, i loaded at 1.175" with 3.4 grains titegroup and they fed and fired perfectly. Recoil spring weight was 9lbs and accuracy was around 1.5" at 25 yds, plenty good enough for me.

My DVC best accuracy was using 115 Precision Delta JHP at 1.08 with 4 gr of Tightgroup. .95" 5 shot group at 25 yds using Ransom Rest.

2nd 124 Precision Delta JHP @1.110 with 5.4 Gr. Power Pistol. 1.29" 5 shot group at 25 yds using Ransom Rest.

3rd 124 Precision Delta JHP @1.10 with 4.0 Gr. Tightgroup. 1.41" 5 shot group at 25 yds using Ransom Rest.

Federal Factory 147 shot 1.55" 5 shot group at 25 yds using Ransom Rest.

Plated bullet are not accurate...period

Darrell's Load Data rev 072317.pdf

Edited by Darrell
Add PDF

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2017 at 3:40 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Are you also having accuracy problems with the DVC ?

Not at all.  I found some S&B NATO 124g ammo from a local supplier and the DVC loves it.  I bought about 10 different types, manufacturer, grain weight etc ammo and the S&B NATO 124gr runs perfect and very accurate.

My DVC best accuracy was using 115 Precision Delta JHP at 1.08 with 4 gr of Tightgroup. .95" 5 shot group at 25 yds using Ransom Rest.
2nd 124 Precision Delta JHP @1.110 with 5.4 Gr. Power Pistol. 1.29" 5 shot group at 25 yds using Ransom Rest.
3rd 124 Precision Delta JHP @1.10 with 4.0 Gr. Tightgroup. 1.41" 5 shot group at 25 yds using Ransom Rest.
Federal Factory 147 shot 1.55" 5 shot group at 25 yds using Ransom Rest.
Plated bullet are not accurate...period
Darrell's Load Data rev 072317.pdf
Also helps to have some really consistent bullets [emoji16]
This:
933dfe2220b2cad6306164b95a6bc80f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

A new gun that will not group across a range of loads - any loads, hand and factory, while those loads shoot fine in other guns makes me think the gun is the issue. Give STI a call - not every gun leaves them 100% functional.