Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 vs. StrikeEagle 1-6x24

ad5md

I know this has been asked in the past. Unfortunately I can't find any 1st hand comparative analysis. 

I currently have the PST and do like it. Soon we will be shooting plates @300 yds and with my poor eyesight I need more magnification.  

With that, I am looking forward to hear from those who have 1st hand experience with both models and what they have to say, pros & cons of each. I am specifically interested on the glass clarity, reticle, eye relief and if there is any fish eye effect on x1 setting. Thans

I am with you brother ,old eyes.  one of the clubs a want to shoot 3gun.  always have at least 2 stages out to 400 and beyond. I have been waiting for the Burris 1 x 8. now saying 18 to 24 days. don't have the budget for some of the upper end 1 x 8. hopping on your thread to read the reviews.

thx

Glass on the Viper PST is better.  It is not better to the degree that you should choose it over the Strike Eagle.  Go with the Strike Eagle.  The Viper PST also has a more generic reticle.  The Strike Eagle reticle is weird, but usable, and genrally intuitive.  Learning holds is learning holds.  Go with the Strike Eagle.  It has good glass, not great, but you can see all the targets, and that is what matters.

• 2 weeks later...

The glass on the Viper PST is better then the Strike Eagle, but I prefer the reticle on the Strike Eagle. You get a bit more clarify and eye relief with the Viper, but you get a higher magnification with the Strike Eagle. The Viper PST has a generic reticle while the Strike Eagle is a bullet drop reticle so as long as you zeroed your rifle all you have to do is put the appropriate line on your target. Less clutter on the Strike Eagle reticle. I can see the higher magnification benefiting more than a bit better clarity.

Edited by EliteGuard

Just bought a Viper PST and I find the eye relief works really well for me while training for 2 gun matches. 0.5" doesn't seem like a lot but that extra half inch on the Viper works for me. Also been able to use it at 1x both eyes open with good success.  4x is nice and I've had to reach out to 200yds a few times, it was a real challenge when you are out of breath.

Strike Eagle owner (never owned the PST)

Pros:  The reticle is great, 6x mag, eye relief is good, glass clarity is good enough IMO, 2nd focal plane, turrets tracked perfectly

Cons:  illumination is not that great.  1x is not TRUE 1x but close enough IMO

I haven't noticed any fisheye at 1x

Selection is  getting more critical (sorry about that guys, wish I can afford the 1-6x24HD lol).  Now I'm also researching on the Primary Arms 1-6x24 and so far it's given good reviews like true 1x and no fisheye effect, better reticle design as opposed to the Strike Eagle.  Anyone here with experience on this optic? Thanks

PA makes good products but in most cases the Warranty is limited, where the Vortex is lifetime. Another con is with PA, stock can be a ways out for a warranty issue. Lastly, I personally think that though they are both similar the Strike Eagle reticle if you place them side by side is easier to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Jumped on the trigger and got the Vortex Strike Eagle after receiving an email from Optics Planet about the ongoing sale that they have.  Plus, was able to use a discount coupon so from $329.99, came down to $274.52 shipped.  Thanks guys

Have used both; I'd say it's a toss up and would choose based on features. I have laser correct vision (20/13) and was not able to identify a significant difference between the glass on them, in my opinion, not enough to lose out on the 1-6 power and BDC reticle. That's not to say the PST is not an excellent optic in its own right, I was soundly impressed by it when I ran my friends recently, I doubt there are many scopes that cost more that would net better performance in that magnification range. 

crispin,

You'd probably be surprised if you checked out the Athlon Midas BTR 1-6 offered in 2 different reticles as you mentioned you don't think there are many scopes that would net better performance in that range. This scope does and is relatively close in price to the strike eagle and PST.

Shot my first match with it yesterday and showed several of the guys that run razor's and one guy that runs a swarovske and they were blown away at the glass and scope itself for the $500-600 tag it carries. They were very impressed and several will be looking into it for their back up guns.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 9:23 AM, Dberm118 said:

crispin,

You'd probably be surprised if you checked out the Athlon Midas BTR 1-6 offered in 2 different reticles as you mentioned you don't think there are many scopes that would net better performance in that range. This scope does and is relatively close in price to the strike eagle and PST.

Shot my first match with it yesterday and showed several of the guys that run razor's and one guy that runs a swarovske and they were blown away at the glass and scope itself for the $500-600 tag it carries. They were very impressed and several will be looking into it for their back up guns.

I may have to do that-thanks for the info! I'm looking for another scope right now in that price range.