Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Red Dot sight?

Zoomy

I am building a AR-15 pistol with a 10.5" barrel in 5.56x45. I narrowed down my search to 4 red dots and are listed below.

The pistol will be used mainly as a ranch rifle and defense. The red dot I am leaning towards is the Holosun 503c. It gets great reviews and is half the price of the others. Also which cowitness, 1/3 or full? 

--- Holosun 503c

--- Eotech EXPS 2

--- Aimpoint Pro Patrol Rifle

--- Trijicon MRO

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-advanced-micro-dot-with-push-buttons-and-up-to-50khour-battery-life/p/md-ads/

Consider this optic. I like it as much as my Aimpoints and it costs a lot less. Same battery life mine have held up great even on my .458 Socom. 
As for your list cross off anything Eocrap. Read about the recall and how they lied to their customers. 

Edited by Alaskapopo

I have a 503g with the acss reticle on my mka1919.  I'm digging it, I will probably end up with more of them for some other guns.  Reticle is crisp for me and the lower bdc dots would be totally useable even with no magnification

supersetca on YouTube did a great review of it.  Actually picked it up for same price from Ak operators Union online store, cause they had it in stock.

http://www.primaryarms.com/hs503g-acss/p/hs503g-acss/

21 hours ago, troupe said:

I have used the Primary Arms and would not be afraid to use it on my work gun.  Very good dot for the money, and I plan on more of them.

I think Holosun makes the Primary Arms sight. Could be wrong but they even elude to the fact that they started by making optics for other companies. Does anyone have any info on this?

I concur with what Tigereye stated, The aimpoint does look a little more Tacti-cool though. I do like how the MRO's off position is in the middle of the settings, between 2-3 three I think. MRO has about 20% more sight picture than the aimpoint. I do like them both. Also both are co-witnessed to the iron sights.

• 1 month later...
On August 28, 2016 at 5:37 PM, CalmlyDeMented said:

I've always been an Aimpoint guy: m2, pro, and then the T-1 and T-2. The T-1 and T-2 are great, lightweight and I can leave them on forever. I would like to try an MRO just because though.

I have multiple Aimponts too and I finally had to try an MRO.  I really like it.  FOV is awesome.  Super crisp dot.  As of now I would give it a 9/10.  Some eyes can see more distortion at the edge of the bigger glasss than a T1/2.  I would agree but it's very tiny.

T

I've owned eotechs and don't anymore. I've owned aim points and still do. I currently have a Comp m3 on my 11" HD/Work gun. I like that it's dead nuts reliable, easy to dial in, and runs for 5 or so years on the same battery. I would like one of the tiny H/T1 but don't see the need to spend more. 

I may actually sell it to buy 2-3 of the primary arms smaller dots, since I'm changing my home gun to an 8" 300 BO and want light and small, and building an AR pistol for the truck as well. I hear great things about the primary arms, heard they are made by holosite but can't find that reference currently. 

you can pick up a used comp usually for the price of a new pro. I got mine here with a LaRue mount for a good price. PM me for details if you'd like. 

I've owned and was issued eotechs for many years. I saw many issues with non-xps models. I wanted nothing to do with them after they had the recall incident, I just lost faith in their product.

I went to aim point and have not looked back. The T1/2 is lighter, and the battery lasts exponentially longer. From everything I've seen the durability is great too. I like that I can leave my dot on and don't really have to worry about it dying for a few years.

Ymmv. I liked the eotech if you were doing raids and had the time to get to the rear and change batteries every day. For a HD gun that I may need to pick up at a moment's notice, I'd take an aimpoint as I know the battery will be on.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 1:52 PM, Alaskapopo said:

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-advanced-micro-dot-with-push-buttons-and-up-to-50khour-battery-life/p/md-ads/

Consider this optic. I like it as much as my Aimpoints and it costs a lot less. Same battery life mine have held up great even on my .458 Socom. 
As for your list cross off anything Eocrap. Read about the recall and how they lied to their customers. 

correct me but all I see u speak to is primary arms. aren't u sponsered by them u posted as such some time ago. never see u mentiom that point      also there are many that would serve before going with low range low price. it  "MAY" work probably for games o.k.

aimpoint, eotech, mro's  (waaay over priced)

many others come to mind.  I also read every thing u write. mostly good.

tks

jjw

Edited by jjw

4 hours ago, jjw said:

correct me but all I see u speak to is primary arms. aren't u sponsered by them u posted as such some time ago. never see u mentiom that point      also there are many that would serve before going with low range low price. it  "MAY" work probably for games o.k.

aimpoint, eotech, mro's  (waaay over priced)

many others come to mind.  I also read every thing u write. mostly good.

tks

jjw

I became sponsored by them this year. I have used their products for a little over 8 years now. Also these sights are good enough for duty use and I have several of my officers running this sight on their patrol rifles with no issues. I have ran these sights on everything from .5.56 ar's to the 4.58 Socom even had one on a Lever action 45 70 loaded with hot bear loads. No issues. I am confident in them. 

Pat

Like my J-Point with 65 minute circle and a 1 minute dot. Sig just came out with a red dot with the 65 min and a 2 minute dot, looked through one, didn't shoot it, seemed clear and crisp. The JP is light and sits low, which I need. A little hard to dial in, the adjustment screws change a lot with very little movement, just have to learn to barely breath on the wrench.

I just got the Trijicon MRO and so far it is my favorite red dot. Ive owned both Eotechs and Aimpoints and I prefer the MRO now, it is a good size in my opinion not to bulky or too small, glass is very clear it does have a slight magnification which a lot of people complain about it there reviews but it doesn't bother me and I don't notice it unless I'm looking for it, and I like the brightness adjustments and on/off a whole lot better than eotechs  

Consider this, if your life may depend on that optic in a HD scenario.... why would you risk your life and the life of your family with a sub-standard RDS... if you wanna save some money, go with a PRO or an MRO and stay away from "budget" RDS... just the opinion of a lowly LEO who appreciates his own life...

you need P&S is what you need....

On 8/28/2016 at 8:59 AM, Zoomy said:

I think Holosun makes the Primary Arms sight. Could be wrong but they even elude to the fact that they started by making optics for other companies. Does anyone have any info on this?

They also make the TruGlo Trutec 20mm.  I just bought one for $105 shipped.  Seems dece.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Meprolight TruDot RDS. It has an EOTech form factor, with an even larger FOV. Battery life is Aimpoint phenomenal and has auto shutoff after 20-30 minutes, and cuts itself back on with the slightest motion. Glass is clear with no tint at all. 1.8 MOA dot size powered by a single AA battery. I leave mine on all the time just like an Aimpoint.  I love mine. 

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:52 AM, Alaskapopo said:

+1