Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X frame cylinder

Daniele

I'm no revolver shooter, but I am intrigued! That would be a pretty sweet custom build, but it would be a pain to have to redo the timing of the cylinder and everything I would imagine. But it wouldn't probably help in USPSA since they limit it to 8 for minor, but in ICORE it could have a place (a 10 shot 9mm open gun would be sweet!)

I think you'd get 9, if you could find someone to make the cylinder. Unfortunately, under the current rules, that would only make the gun usable for icore and steel challenge. 

pretty sure it'd be legal for USPSA Production. Maybe limited 10? Open. 

I've seen pictures of a 10-shot N-frame, 32 cal. achieved by moving the barrel center outward. 

Edited by Seancass

A scandium 10 shot 9mm would be sweet.

If I did the math right(been a couple of years since I did it) 10 9mm would work in the cylinder but getting the cylinder made might be doable getting a extractor with ratchets cut would be a problem.

Then there is the moonclip problem.

Edited by Bosshoss

On 25.8.2016 at 2:37 AM, revoman said:

32 magnum would be easy in an Xframe. 10 round 32 magnum was done on a n frame

That just wouldn't work in USPSA or IPSC, with the 9mm minimum bullet diameter.

Current IPSC rules only allow 6 shots before reloading - but they are contemplating a change where only 6-shooters can score Major, and anything with more capacity can only be Minor.

I measured an x frame cylinder a few years back with this in mind. The chambers weren't far enough apart to provide enough room for a lot of extra holes, you just got more thickness on the outer wall. You would need to raise the barrel centerline significantly to really make use of the cylinder diameter.

i think that the Hogue's had looked at this possibility when the x frame first came out on a CAD design.   10 in 38 super was possible, but you end up with a very long cylinder jump plus the extra weight.   probably a all Sc frame and TI cylinder would be the way to go.   with S&W thought process, I wouldn't bet on it.  

Maybe if I go the share holder meeting  next month, Ill be crazy enough to bring it up.  LOL   then I'll never get a invite again.

Edited by JohnRodriguez

This is something a really good Machinist like Toolguy could do.  I'm sure Hearthco could make some moon clips for it.  If USPSA would allow the smaller caliber (ICORE does) I think they would sell.  

Edited by toothguy

Here is part of the discussion in another topic and the names of the people who built them.

So it would take a magnum case in my way of thinking. Vic Maehearn (SP) used the 32 mag in a 9 shot configuration n an Astra frame. Kirby Goodman Built a 10 shot on an N Frame Smith. Both used moonclips. With the moonclips not available and minor things like the stages being 6 shot friendly, negated the 1 and 2 shot advantage over the 8 shot, but it still worked well on Steel Stages if you were prone to miss a few here or there. Maybe Kirby and or Vic could illuminate us on the subject. I'll see about inviting them to the Site. Later rdd

The way the barrel was done looks ... interesting.

Anyone with metal working skills, is that hard to do?

That's an X-frame?

That looks like a N-frame to me.

There is a lot of time in making and fitting all those parts. It would make an open gun look like a bargain if you paid someone to make that for you.

3 hours ago, perttime said:

What would happen to the cost if there was suddenly a demand for a few dozen, or a few hundred, of them?

I think that's the key point.  Initial costs for a one-off prototype will be high, but prices for the production units, depending on quantity, will drop.  I think something like this could be sold as a kit (cylinder assembly, barrel and hand).  It still will require fitting by someone that knows what they are doing.

Warren (Toolguy) can make anything.  He problem solves clients ideas into prototypes.  Most people just see the finished product but don't see all the R&D time involved.  I think if someone had enough up front cash they might be able to get something going.