Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Savage 10 precision carbine in 223?

Akkid17

I just got into shooting long range and have a savage model 10 in 308 and am wanting to get myself a 223 to play with and also as a loaner/intro long range rifle that's cheaper to run. 

I really like my savage in 308 and have always liked savages any thoughts or, even better, firsthand knowledge with the model 10 precision carbine in 223? 

Thanks 

I am a big savage fan. That being said what i did was by a model 10 donor rifle for the action. I then proceeded to put a pre-fit bull barrel on it. I then found a used mcrees folding stock. I have shot and hit with this setup in excess of 500 yards all day long. The great thing about savage is you can do all your own barrel swaps with ease. Good luck and have fun. 

I was looking at the same rifle not too long ago.  My selling point was the price which seemed very fair to me.  The fact that it is a Savage, like them a lot.  It has the Accutrigger and a bull barrel.  I wanted it for the same reason something to practice with, without breaking the bank.  I'd recommend it, if I didn't have other expenses come up I would have picked it up.  The free floating barrel and over-sized bolt was a good selling point as well.  My two cents.

I wound up finding a rem 700 with a bull barrel for 450 and then got the Magpul hunter stock and came in under the cost of the savage. I would rather have had the savage just for the trigger since the rem 700 trigger isn't that great but the aftermarket availability for it will be a decent trade off since there are parts galore for the 700

I'd highly recommend that model. With a few minutes of work an accutrigger can be tuned down to 1-1.5 lbs and is very clean, so that's a step up on most other models. I've shot a lot of factory savage barrels, had those that I had to work at to get .75moa with loading and a couple that have shot under .2moa. The good news is they are easy to replace at your kitchen table, as are the bolt parts so you can never go wrong buying one. Seen some good used prices and Cabela's now has a model 10 based rifle exclusive to them that retails for $419 or something - can't beat that in my opinion. 

To the op you can always do Rem/age Remington action savage barrel/nut, Criteron was making them last time I looked. Best of both worlds you get the aftermarket support of Remington and the DIY side of a savage. And Timney makes a very nice trigger for a Remington.