Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer Pair vs Controlled Pair

AKShootist

seeing your fist is a sight picture, albeit not a terribly refined one. OTOH, just pointing your gun and pulling the trigger while you look somewhere else is NOT a sight picture.

Semantics. It doesn't matter if what I do includes a "sight picture" or not as long as I can call my hits on target. The bottom line is for most targets 5 yards and in all I need to do to shoot alphas and KNOW I'm shooting alphas is square my shoulders and hips to the target. I've hit many .7 draws to targets like these in matches, and I usually don't even wait for the gun to hit full extension before I'm pulling the trigger. The only way I can successfully do that over and over is by intimately knowing where the gun is pointing through the amount of training I've put in my index.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

1 hour ago, Jake Di Vita said:

Semantics. It doesn't matter if what I do includes a "sight picture" or not as long as I can call my hits on target. The bottom line is for most targets 5 yards and in all I need to do to shoot alphas and KNOW I'm shooting alphas is square my shoulders and hips to the target. I've hit many .7 draws to targets like these in matches, and I usually don't even wait for the gun to hit full extension before I'm pulling the trigger. The only way I can successfully do that over and over is by intimately knowing where the gun is pointing through the amount of training I've put in my index.

right. i was agreeing with you i think. It sounds to me like you are aiming every shot, even if not much aim is required. I think that is different from getting a single sight picture and just pulling the trigger as fast as you can, with no idea where the gun is pointed for the second shot. Heck, sometimes even the first shot goes astray if one pulls one's eyes away after seeing the sight picture but before the gun actually goes off.

the point i was trying to make is that aiming every shot does not necessarily mean having a perfect stance and perfect front sight focus in the center of the a-zone for every shot, it just means having a sight picture sufficient to know the shot is going where you want.... or something like that.

Edited by motosapiens

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

right. i was agreeing with you i think. It sounds to me like you are aiming every shot, even if not much aim is required. I think that is different from getting a single sight picture and just pulling the trigger as fast as you can, with no idea where the gun is pointed for the second shot. Heck, sometimes even the first shot goes astray if one pulls one's eyes away after seeing the sight picture but before the gun actually goes off.

the point i was trying to make is that aiming every shot does not necessarily mean having a perfect stance and perfect front sight focus in the center of the a-zone for every shot, it just means having a sight picture sufficient to know the shot is going where you want.... or something like that.

Yep. All goes back to see what you need to see for each shot.

12 hours ago, daytona955i said:

At bullet hose range, you can see enough of the front sight during recoil of the first shot to be on target with the follow up. I do brake for no shoots and tight partials at that range and focus on two distinct shots, just because of the risk/reward. 

Or you can stay on your sights the whole time and shoot the partials just as fast as the open targets.