Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8-Shooter Options; please help. Please.

matteekay

I believe the 627 38 Supers we made on a 38/357 production line. 

Their barrels were larger bore diameter than what you would expect for a true 38Super revolver.  I use 358 sized bullets.

So any 38/357 barrel could be swapped in.

Edited by GMM50
clairfication

The 38 super 627-4 are marketed as a 5.5" barrel, sporting a sight radius the exact same as a 5" PC, with end cap like a 929 or vcomp.

The 929 has the effective sight radius of a 6" barrel and the vcomp has that of a 4.5" barrel because of the nipple and end cap. 

I can't say this has always held true, but I haven't seen a 4" barrel in the top 10 in the last 3 years. 

sort of the point I was trying to make, you could probably put a 4 inch gun in the hands of somebody like Olhasso  / Leatham / Lentz , and they still might win with it. But given the choice they'd pick the longer barrels. 

1 hour ago, alecmc said:

sort of the point I was trying to make, you could probably put a 4 inch gun in the hands of somebody like Olhasso  / Leatham / Lentz , and they still might win with it. But given the choice they'd pick the longer barrels. 

Agreed.

1 hour ago, matteekay said:

Well, hoping 5" is enough...

You could always wear a cap.

My 929 just feels long and unbalanced to me, your results may vary. My 617s are 6" and I like them fine but have thought 5" might of been the way to go when I got new barrels put on them. 14" Contenders feel long and heavy but 12" doesn't and 10" seems like a pocket gun compared to the 14". All a matter of personal preference.

And here it is...

IMG_20160827_203805_zpskpaxtwuo.jpg

The PC was a hair over $200 more than the Pro so I went for it. The 5" barrel should be more than enough for my bottom-feeding self for a while, I really liked the gold bead sight, and the wood stocks (surprisingly) fit my hand well. The trigger was about 10.5# from the factory and decently smooth; better than most non-PC guns I've tried but nowhere near as good as my 30-year old tuned 10-7. Sights were just a hair low but dead-on otherwise.

So far it's running a Wilson Combat mainspring, trimmed 12# return spring, and Apex extended firing pin without issue. I was (politely) goaded into using it for ICORE yesterday and shot okay for my first time out with it. But, boy, the extra 2 rounds really do help.