Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8-Shooter Options; please help. Please.

matteekay

I've decided the time is right to pick up an 8-shooter for ICORE/USPSA. After doing lots of research, I'm kinda more lost than ever. So I look to you, fellow spinny-gun shooters, for help. 

Here are the considerations:

• 8 shot (duh)
  • Able to be tuned for competition while still firing factory Federal ammo as I'm not reloading yet
  • Eventually able to be tuned super-light once I start reloading

The problem is, I think everything I'm looking at will fit the bill. All the threads I've turned up while searching here and on the S&W boards yield opinions on these guns in isolation but few-to-none are straight up comparisons. So, here are the options!

• S&W 627 Pro Series: This is the least-expensive option. It's obviously a proven platform that can be worked over to make it a great shooter (as many have done it) but there's nothing longer than a 5" barrel right now and I might spend so much tuning it that I should just buy a PC gun.
  • S&W 929 Performance Center: This is the dark horse. I know some people run these, and run these well, but I don't know how well it would do shooting factory ammo as it seems like everyone is feeding them custom hand-loads. It'd be nice if it could work, though, as 9mm is so cheap and readily available. These seem to have the worst triggers from the factory (including the ones I've handled) so there's probably considerable cost there.
  • S&W 627 Performance Center: Again, the 627 is tried and true. Is it worth the $200-$300 more for a PC gun and the 5" barrel, though? It leaves less money for tuning after the fact but maybe it would need less.
  • S&W 327 TRR8 Performance Center: Okay, so not gonna lie - I love how this gun looks. I also own a Rhino, so there you go, lol. Anyhow, this is the most expensive option, but the people who run these seem to think that they're amazing shooters right out of the box. If I could just throw in the Apex firing pin and some springs it may net out to mot much more than the other options. The scandium frame makes me a little nervous even though it'll only see .38 Special.

So there it is. Any and all help appreciated!

I own several of each one of these guns except the TRR. I vote for the 9mm 929. You can feed it cheap 9mm today and eventually when or if you start reloading you can shoot something more custom to fit your needs.  Every one of the above guns will need action work if you are going to shoot is. Remember if your racing or may one day make it a race gun, the TI cylinder is a $250 expense (when available) that you will want to add to the 627's. The 929 comes with a Ti cylinder. 

I know nothing.

One of the revolver shooters I saw last week suggested picking up a 627 & having a 6.5" barrel installed. He has that and a 929, the 929 is working fine now but he said that there were hassles getting it right and a 627 is what he would recommend. That is just one shooters opinion but it is a thought I think I might pursue. When you are looking at costs, brass and moon clips and any special reloading dies/etc. are part of the equation. The person I talked to was not using 9mm brass in the 929 due to sticking issues, and I believe he said that the brass he was using was cut down. I've also seen some painful prices on 929 moon clips that I am guessing you might beat by half with a 627??

Anyway op, I know nothing. Just my current inclinations on the same question for what it is worth. 

Oh, just from reading it seems like performance center guns are pretty much going to need all the same work that standard guns need, so I would probably get the base 4" 627 , but would run everything past a good revolver smith first. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

I really like the 627 pro that Warrens got.  Can't remember but I think it's a 4 inch barrel.  The shorter tapered barrel has a really nice balance and points real quick, perfect for USPSA or ICORE.  I was a little surprised at how accurate it was and not much recoil difference.  Nice bright fiber optic sights really help. 

I asked the same question last year and recently decided to go the 929 route.  You might find some good info in that original thread: 

My highest volume caliber right now is probably 9mm so that was a major consideration for me.  The 929 will take the place of my 625 for everything except the occasional IDPA match, meaning about 2/3 of my yearly reloads will be one caliber moving forward.  I'm hoping to find a 147gr load that will run in both the revolver and my CZs to make life easy.  The other main selling point was the factory supported Ti cylinder, it's nice to know they will supply a replacement if necessary and you don't need to source one separately when you buy a new gun.  If you decide to go the 38/357 route I would suggest a 5" barrel or longer.  I didn't think they sold a 5" pro model so you're looking at the 5" PC.

1 hour ago, Alaskan454 said:

I asked the same question last year and recently decided to go the 929 route.  You might find some good info in that original thread: 

That helps! Kinda. It's mostly people slagging on the 929 and then you bought one, lol. How have you liked yours one year in? What work did you do?

At the very least, I've ruled out the TRR8. So that's something!

Yeah, I've had about as many suggestions in either camp but we have several local shooters running 929s without any problems so I figured I would give it a shot.  I haven't actually bought the 929 yet but I have all the other parts ready to go, just ordered the last of them this week.  I'm on the hunt for a used one right now. 

I've had a pile of 627s, and now 4 929s. Either is a good choice. The pros of the 929 are titanium cylinder rather than sourcing one, and replacements are available. Brass and moon clips are going to cost you either way, and the same action work is required no matter which gun you choose. Pick the one you like, or get a good deal on, and be happy with it. Like Mike said, most shooters prefer 5"+, but the pro 4" barrel is easy to replace if that's what you start with.

I've had several 627's (good pistols). You most likely find only Factory 38 Special, Then, if you do reload you have 38 long Colt, 38 short Colt????. Why not just make it easy and go to 9mm and be done with it?.At present I doubt you can find just 38 Special which is $$$$. .I'd recommend the 929's (Have 2 each)). Any of the  929 problems I had were of my own making.....Put in a APEX firing pin & spring and have at it...... Since your not reloading at the present?... 9mm makes the MOST sense & cents for your shooting dollar, especially if you don't reload. ... I'd stay with one brand of brass once you do start re-loading. You can't beat a Dillon 650 .... a GOOD choice. Prices on 929's have dropped a bit as of late.

There are gunsmith that will ream a 357 cylinder to take 357/9MM/38 Super. 

I know of a few shooters that have had that done.  They all say they enjoy the options it gives them.

The only difference you'll see between the PC and Pro is the 1" extra barrel.  Not worth $300, either will probably take a bit of work to get competition ready. Not as much as a 1911 for sure, but a few things like grips, sights (more of a personal preference than a necessity) plus chamfering charge holes and possibly re crowning and/or cleaning up the forcing cone.  Then smoothing the action which can be done by you with just a little study and a good stone.

Look at it this way: 

Get a Pro 4", cheaper and if you want to get really serious you can have a longer barrel installed, as long as you want.  Or keep the Pro as a back up and get a PC or 929 for your NEW main gun.  If you don't want to get into it any deeper, you're still comptitive.

The loads are so light with Short Colt either will be fine as per recoil.

For USPSA the sighting advantage of a 5" over a 4" is very slight, and $300 worth of primers will help you more.

On the other hand I'd like to get a Pro as a back up and carry gun, so don't do anything to drive the prices up :rolleyes:.

Edited by pskys2

I have 3 627's and 2 929's. I spent twice the cost of a 929 on my first 627 to get it to what a 929 is to start with. I like the 6.5" barrels and the Ti cylinder so by the time I swapped the barrel out (twice) and installed a Ti cylinder, I spent a butt load of money on my first 627. I like the combination that you get with the 929. It doesn't matter which gun has a better trigger out of the box since you are going to rework it anyway. I have never seen anyone happy shooting revolvers that did not reload so I wish you luck with that. :D

I value the ability to shoot with or without moonclips, so the 627 is the logical choice for me.  For 99% of my live fire practice, I don't bother mooning/demooning.  I don't know if this would work very well with a 929.  I have a 4" 627, and the sight radius is fully adequate for accurate shooting.  I find it a very handy and maneuverable size.  Of course, you possibly have recoil reduction, and potential for a lighter load making PF with a longer, heavier barrel.  

Welp, order placed. Thank you for the advice everyone!

14 hours ago, Gregg K said:

I have 3 627's and 2 929's. I spent twice the cost of a 929 on my first 627 to get it to what a 929 is to start with. I like the 6.5" barrels and the Ti cylinder so by the time I swapped the barrel out (twice) and installed a Ti cylinder, I spent a butt load of money on my first 627. I like the combination that you get with the 929. It doesn't matter which gun has a better trigger out of the box since you are going to rework it anyway. I have never seen anyone happy shooting revolvers that did not reload so I wish you luck with that. :D

I'm starting soon, I swear! Lol.

1 hour ago, ede said:

I'd go with what I could get in 5". I have several PC 627s, a 327 JM, and a 929. 

For USPSA style shooting, I'm wondering if a 6.5" is a greater boon to the lesser shooter.

Someone with excellent trigger control and front sight discipline (not me) perhaps would be just as well off with a 5 and might prefer it for quicker handling. 

Someone on the bottom rung of the skills ladder (me) perhaps would benefit from seeing their errors more clearly by 20%+ more front sight motion with the 6.5. 

??

8 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

For USPSA style shooting, I'm wondering if a 6.5" is a greater boon to the lesser shooter.

Someone with excellent trigger control and front sight discipline (not me) perhaps would be just as well off with a 5 and might prefer it for quicker handling. 

Someone on the bottom rung of the skills ladder (me) perhaps would benefit from seeing their errors more clearly by 20%+ more front sight motion with the 6.5. 

??

I wouldn't agree, I'm about 90% positive the top 10 at revolver nationals this year all used 6.5" barrels on their gun, That's not to say that it couldn't of been done with a 4 or 5 inch barrel, but it's just personally preference and what sort of gun the shooter feels shoots best.  Personally I like the 6" / 6.5" variety of guns. The extra sight radius is nice , they balance well, and the extra meat up front absorbs a little bit of recoil. 

1 hour ago, Distant Thunder said:

Didn't Rob and Rich both use the 5" 627-4 at Nationals this year?

I'm pretty sure the 38 super 627s are 6 inch, aren't they? I'm not familiar with the model.

Edited by alecmc