Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being Rushed

Kmarsh1966

I have been out of competition pistol shooting for 21 years.  Upon a recent return, I agreed to do some score keeping.  We finished up one stage and were moving to the second stage.  I realized that I forgot to do the totals on the score cards, and failed to study the next stage.  I thought I had it all figured out and my name was drawn as the first shooter.  I felt really rushed and should have asked to be bumped back in the shooting order.  In my quick walk thru I failed to notice one target, that from one shooting position showed white (i.e. NO SHOOT) and from another  you get the other side being a shoot target.   So you can guess that I never engaged what I thought was a no shoot.   2 Mikes 2 Procedurals Ouch.

Take your time.  Unless you are truly amazing, you will not get rich doing this, it is just a hobby.  Be safe.

11 hours ago, Kmarsh1966 said:

I have been out of competition pistol shooting for 21 years.  Upon a recent return, I agreed to do some score keeping.  We finished up one stage and were moving to the second stage.  I realized that I forgot to do the totals on the score cards, and failed to study the next stage.  I thought I had it all figured out and my name was drawn as the first shooter.  I felt really rushed and should have asked to be bumped back in the shooting order.  In my quick walk thru I failed to notice one target, that from one shooting position showed white (i.e. NO SHOOT) and from another  you get the other side being a shoot target.   So you can guess that I never engaged what I thought was a no shoot.   2 Mikes 2 Procedurals Ouch.

Take your time.  Unless you are truly amazing, you will not get rich doing this, it is just a hobby.  Be safe.

Why two Procedurals?  The rulebook tells us that the scenario you describe should be two mikes and one procedural for Failure to Engage.  Unless you are talking about something besides USPSA.

yep unfortunately doing the scoring or running shooters is a bit of a distraction, but without folks doing this we wouldn't have matches.  i've been busy running shooters a few times when all of a sudden it was my turn to shoot.  normally doesn't go well.  just need to pay extra attention so that you hand off the nook or timer a few shooters before your turn.

8 hours ago, mccurdy53 said:

Why two Procedurals?  The rulebook tells us that the scenario you describe should be two mikes and one procedural for Failure to Engage.  Unless you are talking about something besides USPSA.

IDK, just know I had 30 penalty points don't I might have dropped one other shot, so I assume 5+5 for each failed engagement.   It could have been scored wrong, that is not too uncommon either

14 hours ago, Kmarsh1966 said:

IDK, just know I had 30 penalty points don't I might have dropped one other shot, so I assume 5+5 for each failed engagement.   It could have been scored wrong, that is not too uncommon either

2 mikes and 1 procedural is thirty points.  They are 10 points each.

On August 24, 2016 at 8:55 AM, teros135 said:

Yep.  Plus the lost possible 10 pts for 2 As.  FTSA can potentially take you down 40 pts.  Wow.  

Done it , defiantly a match killer....mine was at a tourney....first FTE in 5 years plus.  Still hurts to talk about it to ?

being new to this, and blowing by a few targets in my first couple of uspsa match's. I found it less confusing for me. I break down the stage into "shooting possessions'" and shoot all I see from that possession. even if its on the move. I also mentally note my mag changes per possession.  Probably going to jinx my self, have not "forgot a target" since I started plotting my stages this way.In the walk thru, I plot my stage.   As I am loading and making ready, I am looking at "where I am going to shoot from, instead of the targets im going to shoot at"  reaping the cadence in my head.  EXMP. P1 stop at wall /shoot all. p2 stop half way shoot all /mag  change moving to P3.stop at barrel and shoot all.  Im probably looking at this ass backwards but,  It seems to have helped me, develop a plan.

Edited by barebones1
add thought

• 1 month later...

I was one of the RO's at the last match I shot and didn't give myself enough time before handing off the timer to someone else.

Ended up in the middle of the stage realizing I didn't have any shotgun ammunition on me. :huh:

Be sure you give yourself enough time to get ready before you shoot......

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy scoring. Means I don't have to brass and I get to watch other shooters closer and learn the stage. If I am scoring, I make sure I am all loaded up and ready before the first shooter goes. I will also score right up till I am the shooter. This actually settles my nerves.

hard part is not screwing up. Last steel match I wasn't paying attention and only got two digits of the the time for one string entered on the tablet. Shooter got to go a sixth time.

• 2 weeks later...

Something similar to the OPs scenario happened to me this weekend.  It was the last stage, I was tired, was hurrying, and didn't do a good walk through (and count targets/shots and compare to WSB).   Ironically, I shot my plan well but it didn't include a target that I didn't see in my rush - got the 2 mikes and 2 procedural (should have been one).  Oh well, this time it didn't change the outcome, but it was a good reminder that consistency does not spring from complacency...and i was complacent and earned that score.

As far as being slow beeped - a few matches ago I was accused of slow beeping by a shooter who thought after "standby" the beep should be almost instantaneous.  I am pretty consistent about this process...after standby I count "1-1000, 2-1000" and then beep.  This is well within the 1-4 second window per the rule book.  I explained that to him and offered to show him the rule, but...can't please everybody, I guess. 

This is a volunteer sport and as long as people are doing their best to help out and be fair I am pretty tolerant. 

Bamboo,

I suggest you vary your beep time after the "Standby" command.  Otherwise, when the gamers catch on, and we do, we will start timing your beep!  That 1-4 second window when you're waiting for that beep feels like an eternity.  

Edited by theWacoKid

• 4 weeks later...

Just like a month ago,,I was on the timer when it was my turn to shoot,last shooter for the stage.went to next stage back on timer,my turn load made ready shot 19 rounds reload only fired two rounds,gun was empty,reloaded fired two rounds..left two targets no ammo,gun dry.

you know wher this is going right,always take time to load mags or look at stage,,

• 4 months later...
On 8/23/2016 at 8:36 AM, mccurdy53 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Should have only been 1 procedural with two mikes.