Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super Confusion/Questions/What to do/Suggestions

bigboy69

When loading 38 super, I use the Lee dies with taper crimp. I run a lock and load.

When I was loading .356 dia bullets I had no issues with bullet movement once seated and bullets would gauge in my EGW chamber checker.

Anytime I would use a .355 dia bullet I would have issues where I can push the bullet down into the case. So I ended up just buying .356 dia bullets. But I hear so many people using .355 and i thought, I should be able too!! So I bought the undersized sizing die from EGW, it's the Lee U die. So now I am using Blue bullets and I have no issue with the bullet head moving, BUT where my problem is now, most will not go into my EGW chamber checker. I'm going to say a lot of them stick out about 1/4" maybe a lil more. So I just chamber check in my barrel.

But something must be wrong???? Im using a die that sizes 2-3 thousandths smaller and it won't go in the chamber checker??? Well, all new brass will chamber check. Some once fired will check, but not all. Im confused, it all should pretty much check if it's undersized???????????????

Can anyone help or have any suggestion on what I can do??? I talked to some friends on FB and they gave me some ideas.

I'd like to see what others have to say.

Edited by bigboy69

When I ran .356 and .357 bullets, It was a different barrel that liked .356 bullets. They were both very accurate.

The barrel I have now, it's a different gun, is marked .355 so the .355 and .356 are accurate out of this gun.

I'm almost embarrassed to say what it was but.....

When I installed the new die, my shell plate must have been off slightly and I did not have it down far enough   :wub:  

So I ran some brass that was fired a couple times and loaded it and it went in the gauge no problem.

Thanks everyone for letting me pic your brains!!!!

Edited by bigboy69