Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm PCC loads

Zebraman

I found minor loads too sluggish. I found MAJOR loads to be too harsh. I found a load with 124's at about 150 PF to be just right. :) I think I ended up at about 6 grains of WAC under 124 Xtremes at about 1.16.

Don't run major 9 in a blow back your asking for trouble. The only thing holding the round in the chamber when it fires is spring tension and buffer mass its not locked. too much power and the bolt will move back early causing bad things to happen. There is no major power factor in PCC scoring anyway. Don't go there. 
Pat

I agree with not running major 9 loads in a blowback rifle.  Not worth it.  I would stick to book loads for 115s/124s using powders suitable for 9mm.   preferably faster type powders such as 231 or Titegroup.  A Production load that runs 132-135 pf in your handgun should run about 145-150+ in the carbine. Current load is a 124 gr BBI at 1.10 oal with 3.8 grains of Solo.  This load functions perfectly in my P226 at a PF of 132 and runs 150 pf or so in the rifle.  Once the Solo is gone I'm going to dig into my stash of 231.

The trick is finding a load which will get you the desired pf in a pistol and still run the carbine.   You most likely will have to play with oal to get the load to work in the two guns.  It seems that blowback guns function better with loads on the warm side.  

I just got a 16" 9mm upper Friday and took the complete rifle to the range on Sunday.  I ran through 128 rounds of Federal bulk 115gr FMJs and it cycled just fine.  So I took my 147gr LFP Steel Challenge rounds and shot about 30 of them.  Cycled just fine.  2.4gr of Titegroup.  That should just make Minor PF, but I need to hit an outdoor range to crono that particular combo.

We are using 147 grain Blue Bullets, 2.9 grain of N310.

The gun has a hydraulic buffer,  AR10 spring, weight is removed from the Bolt Carrier.

Very light load,  runs factory ammo as well.

Next trying 124 with 3.2 grains of N310.

Edited by bret
Correction

Damn, I don't know but I shot some 132 PF loads with 135 BBI's and they felt like squibs! I was scared to do rapid fire. lol

I don't like really hot loads in it but I do want to know the bullets are leaving the barrel. :)

Edited by Sarge

147 grain Xtreme's with 3.2 grains of Bullseye and a CCI SPP loaded to 1.135" OAL. These make ~130-132PF out of a 5" M&P and slightly more out of a 16" barrel. They are still subsonic :ph34r:

I thought about loading different loads for Production, 3 Gun and PCC but it's just not worth it. My load cycles well in all my guns and I can crank out 500 bullets an hour without having to waste time resetting powder or mixing up loads. With a 147 grain bullet doing just over minor PF I can knock over most steel!

• 3 years later...

I have found that out of several PCCs (Sig MPX, Nordic PCC, CZ Scorpion) that I get the best accuracy and performance with 124 JHP Precision Deltas and 4.0 grains of Titegroup. Nordic gets 1200fps and Sig with 14.5 inch barrel gets 1150. I have shot this load out to 150 yards and get sub inch groups out of all my PCCs at 50 yards. 

115s make the gun cycle faster, which ultimately gets the the dot back on target faster, and that's more important than how the recoil feels to the shoulder, IMO. 147 feels sluggish... noticeably slow cycling. 124 isn't as noticeable, but 115 still feels better to me (maybe a little more gas working the comp a little better?)

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth.
After discussions as the Florida Open, the folks that were leading in PCC division recommend running a PCC in the low 140 power factor range. Best combination of cycle and dot tracking for shot calling.

With that goal, I did tests over the summer with power coated, plated and jacketed bullets. The precision of those loads ranked in that order with full metal jacket turning in the smallest group. I tested a few powders like N320, WST, WSF, HP38, and Sport Pistol. 320 and Sport Pistol with Jacket ammo was the winning combination.

YMMV

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk