Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If Federal is #1, what's your #2?

MissionaryMike

Just now, ArrDave said:

I had a couple buddies do it too with 1050s, not sure of the circumstances but basically crushing the primer to the point of ignition.  

And it set off the entire stack?  Dang!  Talk about needing new underwear!

33 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

And it set off the entire stack?  Dang!  Talk about needing new underwear!

Sensitive primers FTW!

I've mangled CCIs and Fiocchis horribly, usually when attempting to seat one in a case where the decapping pin failed to do its thing, and never had one light off as a result.

I've been using CCIs since 1989.  I did not change up until the great reloading scare of 2008.  Now I use Federal primers when I reload for my SAA revolvers, but I use whatever brand primers I can find for everything else.  Winchesters are crazy here ($43 per 1000).  I can only find 100 packs of Federals for $3.99.  I'm using CCI and Matech primers since I can find them in 1000 packs for okay money.

I've been using CCIs since 1989.  I did not change up until the great reloading scare of 2008.  Now I use Federal primers when I reload for my SAA revolvers, but I use whatever brand primers I can find for everything else.  Winchesters are crazy here ($43 per 1000).  I can only find 100 packs of Federals for $3.99.  I'm using CCI and Matech primers since I can find them in 1000 packs for okay money.

I use a lot of Sellier and Bellot, mostly because I can get them for a little over $20/1000 when they go on sale, normally like $24/1000. I have had good luck with them. I like the CCIs as well. I use some federals for my revolver that has a light hammer spring, but I hate the huge boxes, just bugs me. Mostly use the Selliers for my 9mm and .40.

Not to hijack the thread, but I was looking here for primer recommendations since I just ordered a Dillion 550.  I'm using the OP's setup in SP01 decocker w/ a CGW Pro Package.  I could use suggestions on powder and bullets brands and sources if allowed.  Currently shooting 115g and in my first match and had 3 lite strikes w/ factory Aguila ammo.  At first I thought I short stroked the trigger, but afterwards remembered it was DA on second pull.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce

I have a Cajunized SP-01.  I use an extended firing pin and reduced power firing pin spring with the 11.5 lb mainspring.  To date, I have used Winchester, Federal, Tula and S&B primers with great success.  I think, out of 5000 rounds, only two have failed with the Tula's.

I have a Cajunized SP-01.  I use an extended firing pin and reduced power firing pin spring with the 11.5 lb mainspring.  To date, I have used Winchester, Federal, Tula and S&B primers with great success.  I think, out of 5000 rounds, only two have failed with the Tula's.

On August 23, 2016 at 10:13 PM, Andreas said:

No interest in Federal primers. Too many friends have accidentally lit off a stack of them in their Dillons.

Would be interesting to know how it was possible to crush (ignite) a primer that was still in close proximity to the primers in the tube. I have had a primer go off in a press once (550) but can't figure out how you could ignite the stack in any of the Dillons . 

The only time I know of multiple primers igniting involved bad storage habits and use of a torch near the reloading bench :surprise: . 

14 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Would be interesting to know how it was possible to crush (ignite) a primer that was still in close proximity to the primers in the tube. I have had a primer go off in a press once (550) but can't figure out how you could ignite the stack in any of the Dillons . 

The only time I know of multiple primers igniting involved bad storage habits and use of a torch near the reloading bench :surprise: . 

I can tell you that if you have a federal primer not fully aligned with the brass and you force it, you can set it off. In my 650, it propagated around the primer wheel and set off almost 100 primers in the tube. I found the primer follower rod stuck in the ceiling bent into a "Z" shape. That being said, I use Federal primers on all my revolver loads and Winchester SPP or SRP on everything else. Tried Tula and they didn't work for me.

fwiw

dj

Last year, I ran CCI with great results.  Not once did I have a light primer strike with an #11.5 main spring.  This year I switched over to federal just to try them out.  I think I will be going back to CCI once my federals are used up.  While I never had a problem with them, they are just so soft and can easily deform when seating them into a tight primer pocket.