Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GR-X die

JPB3

I've loaded a lot of .40 on a Dillon 550 but run my range brass through the Redding G RX die first.. Works well my reject rate is just a couple per hundred..

Just started loading for the 9 to shoot some production..   Have some once fired range brass.. Some in noticeably bulged in the lower half of the case, Glocked ?

Anyway it doesn't run well through the Dillon, requires way too much pressure on the press handle to go in the size die -- Dillon dies all around. 

So, the question is: what's the best fix for this..  Is there a better source of brass? A G RX die, haven't seen it listed anywhere..  All the folks that load for 9 surely can't be running this kind of brass through there presses on a regular basis...  Any help would sure be appreciated..

2 minutes ago, Alaskapopo said:

You using lube?

This! 9mm brass rarely suffers Glock bulge. It's possibly been fired from a 9MAJOR open gun.

i prefer a Udie and good case lube. Fixes damn near all sizing issues

I'm using Hornady one shot lube ----- maybe not enough ??

Bought the brass online, all yellow brass, several different headstamps, but I haven't tried to isolate it by brand yet.. That's next..  There is lots of Starline in this batch, it's not the problem..

Could have been fired in an open gun...  

What's a U die ?

I have found that sorting your brass and removing any CBC, SB, and similar foreign manufacturers. By doing this it has almost eliminated all loading issues. By doing this I have not need for lube and way less downtime fixing stuff during a loading session 

If you don't mind push through sizing (I presume you don't since you are using the grx die in what I guess is a single stage press) then get a Lee 9x18 makarov fcd die.  Put that in your single stage press,  take the top of the die off and push your 9mm through it completely.   Yes, it works, done thousands of 9mm and 9x21 this way.

5 hours ago, JPB3 said:

I'm using Hornady one shot lube ----- maybe not enough ??

Bought the brass online, all yellow brass, several different headstamps, but I haven't tried to isolate it by brand yet.. That's next..  There is lots of Starline in this batch, it's not the problem..

Could have been fired in an open gun...  

What's a U die ?

LEE/EGW undersized seating die. Sizes lower and tighter than standard dies. LEE standard sizing die is great too. Wide mouth Dillon are the worst at getting low on the case

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, just wanted to give an update here and to thank you all for your comments..

This mixed lot of brass that I ordered online had maybe 50% starline brass in it.. I was happy !!!!  Didn't believe that it could be causing my issues.. I've had excellent luck with it in the past ---- but never any that had been subjected to super high pressure....

I'd bet a few nickels that Sarge hit the nail on the head..   The brass surely must have been fired in a 9mm MAJOR open gun...

I resized some in a Redding carbide die I had on the shelf.. It was better then when I ran it through the Dillon but still very stiff as I lowered the Dillon handle all the way..

I have a lathe so I stepped out and took .030 of the face of the RCBS shell holder and readjusted the Redding die.. Helped but it's still not happy..

Got another batch of brass from another vendor, mixed headstamps and all my trouble went away..

My conclusion, perhaps in error, is that brass fired in a 9mm Major open gun is trash...  At the very least, this brass was exposed to extremely high pressure...

Again, thanks for your help..