Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to buy right now

Snipe10

Brand new into reloading, haven't even bought a press yet. Question is, while I'm researching which is best for me, what should I try to find now. I was looking in the big box stores the other day for H4350 but of course couldn't find any. There were lots of other powders but I didn't know what to even buy. Is there a common powder like IMR of Varget to buy, should I get primers? I primarily want to reload 308, 6.5 cm, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 9mm and 5.56, and just about all the other common calibers like 44 mag, 357 and 38. Believe it or not, I recently standardized and sold off a bunch of weird calibers.

Thanks in advance for any help, November scares the crap out of me!

If you read some of the old reloading posts, here at BE, you'll find a wealth

of info re: which powders are favored for the 9 calibers you've "standardized" on :)

I'd buy a LOT of primers - you're going to need all sizes.

Don't forget bullets - they could be in short supply, also.

2 hours ago, Core3gunner said:

When I start a new load ie., new bullet weight, new calibre I always call Sierra's reloading hotline

1-800-223-8799

These guys are very helpful and have saved me a lot of time,money and headache. 

Bwahaha! Call and ask them for some 9MAJOR load data.

If you're asking about stocking up on components I'd start with primers. You need primers regardless and powder you can purchase based on availability and once you settle on a load for each caliber. If you've decided on what projectile you plan on using you can also stock up on those.

I would start slow and pick ONE calber to learn on.  from your list probably 45acp.  do test runs of 10 to verify with chrono  (chronograph is mandatory, imho). Run no more than batches of 50 at first to limit error volume.  Once you get the hang of checking all the important stuff and that's become a habit, gradually add more calibers.

And get a bullet puller... everybody makes mistakes!

2 hours ago, johnbu said:

And get a bullet puller... everybody makes mistakes!

Not just mistakes but pulling bullets to check crimp! Working with plated or coated, I want to know if the crimp is correct.

Titegroup and Varget.  Maybe another rifle powder.  A slower pistol powder for the big guns.  Buy 30lbs of powder and 20,000 primers.  Buy the Lee reloading book and order the latest load data guides from Hodgdon and Western Powders.

Primers will dry up first, then powder. If it really goes to hell then billets disappear. If it gets totally out of control again you'll wait months for reloading presses and dies etc

Reloading manuals are like car repair manuals.  Info you can use will be in one, but not the other.  Buy more than one brand/makers manual.

Also, companies like Hogden (also contains Winchester and IMR data), Accurate Arms, Ramshot and Alliance have web sites you can look up on your computer/internet and get all kinds of loading data for their powders.

Now is the time to be looking for different powders that you can substitute for your favorites.  If you can't find your favorites, you need to know which other powders will work as well, or almost as well.  My favorite .223 powder is IMR4198.  I just (a couple months back) found out I can get similar accuracy with BLC2 in my AR15's.  I've tried CFE223 (didn't get the accuracy I wanted, but haven't given up), TAC (accuracy was okay but the most accurate load doesn't function well in my rifle length gas systems), H335 also is showing some promise.  I just mention these as an example that testing different components now can give you back ups if components start to dry up again.

It really helps if you have your location updated in your profile. Some powders and even primers seem to be available at any given time based on region. Right now I can go buy all the HP-38 and eve Winchester I want, but the Alliant that was in stock for 2 years is suddenly missing from the shelf. (and until now, finding the HP-38 was like a unicorn) For a long time I could buy all the CCI and federal SPP and LPP I wanted and now all they have is magnum and rifle primers.

You need to be buying powder and primers right now.  Hard to go wrong with Winchester or CCI primers for rifle, I like Federal for pistols followed by Winchester.  But get Fiocci, S&B. Wolf, etc. if you have to.  Just get what you can get.

With powders IMR-3031 is one of the most versatile rifle powders ever produced.  Add IMR-4895 or H4895 and you cover a whole lot of ground in rifle calibers.  Get a small amount of Retumbo for the big rifle magnums.  For pistol Titegroup and a medium burning powder like Unique will let you load for most anything from .380 to .44 mag.  It may not be optimal, but you'll be able to shoot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...