Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RMR on Glock for Carry Optics!

ajez153

I can't decide on which RMR to purchase for USPSA carry optics division. I figure there would be no one better to ask then you open guys, which model do you prefer and why? I am thinking the 6.5 adjustable RMR but not sure if that's right. It will be mounted on a Glock 34.

image.jpeg

For what it's worth I have the RMR05G dual illumination. For me, I find that the bigger dot is easier to pick up. It's still fine enough for USPSA, but longer ranges/smaller targets might be easier with a smaller dot. I went with the dual illumination as it can be used for HD as well. For a pure game gun, there are dots with bigger windows for less money. Is this going to be a pure game gun, or multi-purpose?

My RMRs are on CZs, not Glocks, but...

I went with the dual illuminated models as well.  Mine are for EDC/home defense.

I well say that you might want to stay away from the green dot models.  If you are inside looking outside, or under a range cover and the target is in full sunlight the green dot is almost impossible to see.  The amber dot works regardless of where I'm at or the lighting conditions of the gun vs. the target.

I have read that some folks buy the smaller dot battery operated RMRs and leave the dot intensity turned down for longer range targets and then turn it up for closer targets.  They say the brighter the intensity the larger the dot looks to them and that makes it okay for close up/faster acquisition use.  Might try one out in a store if they'll let you.

8 hours ago, fishsticks said:

For what it's worth I have the RMR05G dual illumination. For me, I find that the bigger dot is easier to pick up. It's still fine enough for USPSA, but longer ranges/smaller targets might be easier with a smaller dot. I went with the dual illumination as it can be used for HD as well. For a pure game gun, there are dots with bigger windows for less money. Is this going to be a pure game gun, or multi-purpose?

It's going to be purely a gaming gun only. What is HD? I just started looking at the vortex viper also.

I've posted my review before, but I have the RM05G as well.  Dual Illuminated 9MOA green dot.  I love the ruggedness of the RMR.  I love the green dot.  It works great outdoors in any daytime weather condition I've been in, including shooting from inside a van.  It is not good for indoor ranges where there is no ambient light to power the optic, yet the target is illuminated.  This results in a faint dot washed out against a bright target.  Personally, I still do not trust electronic sights on handguns.  I think we are seeing them last a lot longer than they used to, but I am just very cautious.  I'll let others do the testing.  

The 9MOA dot is fine for competition.  Mathematically, it covers 4.5" of targets at 50 yards, 2.25" at 25 yard targets.  This is precise enough for what we do.

Overall I am glad I chose the RM05G.

My glock serves double duty in Carry Optics and Open when I add the threaded barrel, comp and magwell.

I've put approximately 5,000 rounds through 1 RM07 (adjustable 6.5 MOA) and 15,000 rounds through a different RM07 (they are on different guns and both still work flawlessly). I tried a Dual-Illuminated model but didn't really like it. I prefer the crispness of the LED dot. I actually just ordered another G34 slide from Suarez with the RM06 (adjustable 3.25 MOA) so that I can do a comparison.

So far, I have had no complaints about the 6.5 MOA dot, I think it may be the perfect size for most USPSA-style shooting, however at Nationals there were a few targets where a slightly smaller dot would've been nice.

It will probably be too long for you to wait before you make a decision, but I'll post up a comparison in a few weeks once the new gun gets here and I've put a few 1,000 rounds through it.

- Alex

I had an FFIII on my open Glock, frame mounted, and it would go off on its own. Usually after the first shot or two on a stage. Burris replaced it with a new one, but it does the same thing. Not impressed.

1 hour ago, ClangClang said:

Any thoughts on the Burris Fastfire 3 for Carry Optics on a Glock 19/17 MOS?

Vortex Venom should fit the same mount as the Burris FF. I ran one for a while on my XDM before I switched to a DeltaPoint Pro. The Venom has adjustable brightness and a top loading battery compartment. I had no issues with mine,

• 3 weeks later...
On August 18, 2016 at 8:31 PM, AEuropa said:

I've put approximately 5,000 rounds through 1 RM07 (adjustable 6.5 MOA) and 15,000 rounds through a different RM07 (they are on different guns and both still work flawlessly). I tried a Dual-Illuminated model but didn't really like it. I prefer the crispness of the LED dot. I actually just ordered another G34 slide from Suarez with the RM06 (adjustable 3.25 MOA) so that I can do a comparison.

So far, I have had no complaints about the 6.5 MOA dot, I think it may be the perfect size for most USPSA-style shooting, however at Nationals there were a few targets where a slightly smaller dot would've been nice.

It will probably be too long for you to wait before you make a decision, but I'll post up a comparison in a few weeks once the new gun gets here and I've put a few 1,000 rounds through it.

- Alex

So which one do you like better so far. Rm07 0or rm06

12 hours ago, jeremy kemlo said:

So which one do you like better so far. Rm07 0or rm06

It's still too early to tell, I've only put about 1,500 rounds through the new gun with the RM06. It's definitely more precise, but I'm not sure that's relevant for the vast majority of target presentations we see in USPSA. 

I'm done breaking in the new gun so I'm going to start doing a few side-by-side comparisons to see which one I like better on mini-stages. 

On 8/19/2016 at 6:35 PM, ClangClang said:

Any thoughts on the Burris Fastfire 3 for Carry Optics on a Glock 19/17 MOS?

I had a burris on my glock for a bit.  As a newer shooter to dots I found it hard to keep it steady and make good shots since the dot was so small.  I believe it was a 3 MOA.  I currently have a RM07 on a Unity Tactical slide and it works much better.