Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 or 650 - which is better for a beginner?

550 for a very long time , bought it before they were 550B's

Then bought a 650 and found it a PITA, probably because I loaded on a 550 for so long, sold the 650 and bought another 550 so I had one for large and one for small primer rounds.

If I was starting again, i.e. 40 years ago, I would buy a 650: ONLY if I had the cash to buy the case feeder with it.

Lot of it depends on how much ammo vs. time you have a week.

I load for me and the wife and we shoot about 5-600 rounds a week.

Takes about  1 1/4 to 11/2 hours to load those 5-600 rounds in two different calibers.

Summary = time vs. ammo amount vs. cash available to spend on equipt.

Either one will serve you well, and like others have said just run on case at a time until you figure out what each station is doing and how to adjust it.

Good fortune in your quest

I went through the process a few months ago deciding which Dillon to buy and decided on the 550. I had some experience on a Lee single stage years ago.

There was and still is a learning curve going on and I had a few problems along the way not directly related to the quality of the press and if that turret was turning every time I pulled the handle my frustration level would have been much higher. 

I don't have that much of a need for high volume or speed. To me, reloading is a enjoyable part of the hobby so a little extra time spent because it's a manual indexing vs a auto indexing is no big deal.

My advice is to skip the single stage, buy the 550 and like someone else said you can load one at a time treating it like a single stage while you learn the process. if want the speed later buy the 650 but I think there is a good chance you will end up keeping your 550 even if you do upgrade.

As to the concern of no charging or double charging, here's a pic of my powder check die. $35 at Ikea and they have $10 versions.

One of the criticisms of the powder I picked out (Titegroup) was that it doesn't fill up the case very much. A double charge is clearly obvious to my eyes, you have to look at the case to place bullet in it, spend a full second looking at it to make sure it has powder and is not nearly full like a double charge makes it.

Low powder sensor? The powder measure is right in front of me, I can see it getting low.

Lately I haven't even been using the low primer sensor, I just keep an eye on the plastic stick follower working it's way down and I can feel it in the handle when I run out worst case.

Point being on some of these comments is simple is better and the 550 fills that role.

3 last pieces of advice:

1. Buy a strong mount if you plan on standing while you reload.

2. A roller handle is a very nice upgrade.

3. If you're serious about getting into reloading, research and buy the components soon, very soon. Availability is going to get to be a problem going forward. Part of that is you may find primers at one place and the powder you want at another and you would need to pay 2 hazmat shipping fees.

Hope this helps.

Ikea Reloading Light- 003 copy-1.jpg

Edited by KGun

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 5:49 PM, tkheard said:

I started on a 550. Loaded 9mm and 45 on it for three years. Good place to start. I upgraded to a 650 three months ago and wish I'd started there.

I was going to start with the 550, but there were so many comments from guys like thheard above that I decided to just step up and get the 650.

Why not?

I was going to start with the 550, but there were so many comments from guys like thheard above that I decided to just step up and get the 650.

Why not?

550 for lower volume, and cheaper, and easier changes. If you expect to load lots of calibers, go 550.

650 doesn't make sense to me without case feeder. If you expect to load a LOT (more than 1k/month) of one or two calibers, go 650.

Good choice on the 650. A few years back I had the same considerations and went with the 650. The 650 is just easier, even if you don't load thousands a month. And yeah, the casefeeder is a HUGE upgrade. When i started on my 650 I just had my son fill the feeder tube. Now he stands and watches the brass fall right into place. A bullet feeder would be nice as well, but unnecessary IMHO unless you are doing a LOT at once. It is so easy to just get going placing your bullet with the left hand and cycling with the right. The primer warning will go off as long as you have the brass case stuck to the top. Just stop for a few seconds to reload the primers and you are off again.

a few upgrades i would suggest as your first one(s)

Case feeder with the extra plate for a the other calibers you are going to be doing.

A light kit available on eBay.

Used primer kit that feeds into a jar or awy from the original cup.

The taller base

Many people say get the roller handle. I still have the ball handle on mine, but I've never done more than 200 rounds at a time. By the end I could tell though that the roller would be better.

When you go for additional calibers, just order the new head with powder kit. So easy to pull the head off and leave all the dies in place. Then the work is far less changing all the remaining components.

Last, watch lots of Youtube videos. Watching the videos was what made me decide on the 650 over the 550. I also got a good idea of how to set things up, as the instructions were a tad confusing once or twice. Watching the videos made everything I saw on the instruction sheet make sense. Oh, and if you go to gun shows, start getting there first thing Saturday morning as there are always one or two people selling reloading equipment, though the other dealers normally snatch it up quick. the 550 parts are far more common at the shows, so if in need of a second press for a less used caliber you may find a deal. (last year I picked up a Dillon swage tool and two die sets for $60. Sold the die sets for the $60 I paid)

Like many here I started with a 550b and no actual reloading experience.  After six months I purchased a s1050 to save time (2K of 9mm a month was very time consuming at a steady 350 rounds per hour), if I had to do it all over again I would have probably started with the xl650.... as I think its a good middle ground if you need volume and are somewhat mechanically inclined.... if you have someone that can show you the ropes.... that doesn't hurt either.

Like others you can always upgrade later also, its not that painful to port your existing 550 tooling over to a 650 down the road (I've moved all but two calibers to my 650/1050's now).

~g

Edited by safeactionjackson

I used a single stage RCBS Rock chucker for years. Always wanted a Star Loader with a case feeder. Decided on a Dillon 650 loved it added a case feeder and it's even better. Hated changing primer sizes from large to small. So I bought a second 650 now I have 2 set up one large primer one small primer and share the case feeder between them.

My brother gave me a 550 he never used that he had bought second hand. I returned to to Dillon an had it refurbished it came back looking like a new press. I use the 550 for small runs of rifle ammo and test loads for my handguns.

I'd start with the 650 with a case feeder and never look back. I still use the Rock Chucker sometimes.