Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 red dot question

Jgodwin

Just as a disclaimer this is my first adventure into pistol optics and I haven't gotten the result I was hoping for. I have a Glock 17 gen 4 that I mounted a Burris fast fire red dot onto a rear sight mount. Even after a few hundred rounds through the gun I still have a very hard time finding the dot. I feel like I have to have the gun at an awkward grip angle completely different from what I'm used to with standard sights. Is this a standard result with this type of mount? Would switching to a frame mount help my issue and if so any recommendations on which mount? Or is this just something I have to retrain for if I want to shoot open. Thanks for any input. 

Yes there is a learning curve a frame mount is only gona make it worse you eather need to practice with what u have or have the slide milled so the dot sits the same as the sights. I have shot open fir 2 years now tried to go to production for winter shooting in doors couldn't do it had a real hard time finding sights so I put a dot on it and shot co 

I shot a G17 with an RMR for a year or two before going with a full on open gun. It does take some getting used to. Definitely more than just a couple hundred rounds.

My CZ feels so much more natural and easier to find the dot but I still have to get used to exactly where to bring the gun up to. Just takes repetition and lots of it.        

I have dual illuminated RMRs on my CZs.

I've read that the Leupold DP Pro has a larger lens area than the RMR.  It also has the option of mounting an adjustable rear sight on the back of it.  My next "dot" pistol will be with the DP Pro.  It's sitting on the bench waiting on me to make up my mind which CZ it will sit on.