Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 40 MOS limited

polymerfeelsweirdman

I am saving up my allowance to get a G40 and when I do, I'll get a KKM conversion barrel to shoot 40 in limited.  I have already done this with a G20 and it works very well, maybe the softest way to shoot 40 major due to the big frame and heavy slide, a much better option than the small frame guns, unless you have little girl hands.

Although the g20 is a true 'large frame' Glock, the g40 is not... They changed a lot of the dimensions on the two 'large frame' practical/tactical glocks...
Don't know if you knew that.
For instance... Unlike the 20/21 and the 17/22... The 34/35 and 40/41 fit in the same holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, so I went to the Glock sight to check out tis G40 since I hadn't heard of it and see this pic... Can anyone explain what's going on with that pistol?  Slide looks to be in full battery...Do they offer an extended barrel short slide gun?

hunting-top.jpg

The G40 is a large frame. Frame size is the same as the G20, slide is actually .01 inches wider than the G20, then the 6" barrel of course. I haven't done so myself but I would guess that a 40 slide would fit on a 20. The G40 is essentially a stretched out 20.

The G41 is a different animal however. Longer, narrower, and lighter slide.  Definateley not interchangeable with a 21.  However the frame, and grip size is essentially the same.

On 8/17/2016 at 3:19 PM, Kevin G. said:

OK, so I went to the Glock sight to check out tis G40 since I hadn't heard of it and see this pic... Can anyone explain what's going on with that pistol?  Slide looks to be in full battery...Do they offer an extended barrel short slide gun?

hunting-top.jpg

Photo is of a G20 with 6" hunter barrel (factory Glock barrel), I have on in my safe and it works fine in my G20gen4.  The G40 is a far better platform for that length barrel, as you get the advantage of a longer sight radius.

~g

I am probably wrong, please let me know.  Isnt the G40 a 6 inch barrel?  Thus being to long for USPSA limited?  I have the G20 but like a 2nd gen model, I have been very interested in the G40 since it came out as I love the 10mm round. 

Also as far as barrel upgrade goes would you be looking at a barrel upgrade for accuracy or fully supported chamber only or both?  Just curious if yall see a difference in accuracy with upgraded barrels or is it just for the supported chamber. 

Thanks

On 9/2/2016 at 1:37 PM, target4fun said:

I am probably wrong, please let me know.  Isnt the G40 a 6 inch barrel?  Thus being to long for USPSA limited?  I have the G20 but like a 2nd gen model, I have been very interested in the G40 since it came out as I love the 10mm round. 

Also as far as barrel upgrade goes would you be looking at a barrel upgrade for accuracy or fully supported chamber only or both?  Just curious if yall see a difference in accuracy with upgraded barrels or is it just for the supported chamber. 

Thanks

Glock 24 is 6" too and is legal

barrel would be more to have it chambered for .40 S&W

• 4 weeks later...

hunting-top.jpg

Hey! I know that guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I just acquired a brand new .40 MOS and now I'm in a quandary of what to use it for.  Drop a ,40 barrel. Mag well, (slide lightened?) trigger, maybe Arredondo mag extensions ?

if I run .40 in this platform do I simply use the 10mm mags with .40s?  Do I need to load them long?  

I never got around to doing this with a G20 or G40 but this was my parts list I had in mind (and this would apply to both):

KKM .40 barrel

Carver magwell or Suarez magwell - these are basically the two I found that worked for the Gen 4 large frame guns, with the Suarez being a carry magwell but allowing regular mag use; a compromise but I had this idea of having the gun pull double duty for competition and hiking/hunting/whatever

Liberal use of grip tape

Connector kit (TTI, Ghost, etc.)

Dawson sights - would probably lean towards an adjustable rear since there is so much variability possible in .40/10mm loads but this would be a trade off for the G40 because it would prevent you from using an optic without removing the sight

TTI large frame mag basepads - listed as for the .45 acp Glocks but should fit the 10mm ones

Stainless guide rod & reduced weight recoil spring - I would consider giving the stock dual spring setup a try first since they seem to work reasonably well for a wide range of 10mm loads but ideally this would be done

Maybe:

Extended slide release - I don't think I actually need it

Extended mag release - possibly if I found one I liked, could also try an epoxy build up on an OEM one

Flashlight weight - haven't tried it but seems like fun; I'd be compelled to use steel shot so as to not completely lead out a flashlight I'd probably end up reassembling at some point and the gun would be fairly heavy already from the slide

I like where your head is at, this is a very similar build to what I was thinking.  I'm thinking a heavier magwell and brass plug though to help get some weight under the gun.  It's already somewhat front heavy.  I was thinking an SJC frame weight and thumb rest, Dawson Brass Magwell with heavy insert.  Rear sight is an issue since I do plan to run my RMR when not using for comp, but most options I've seen that work would have to be fixed rear.  

Is there a way to make the factory adjustable better/more precise?