Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading for STI Edge 40 cal

Greg5611

I just purchased a STI Edge 40 S&W Competition Ready Pistol from Dawson.  I would like to reload for USPSA Limited division and would prefer to not reinvent the wheel.  What have others found to be an optimum reload for competition and accuracy?  I would be interested to know what people are shooting in terms of bullet weight/brand/typd, powder mfg/type/weight, C.O.L. etc.)  Thanks to everyone in advance for your advice.

Im using xtremes right now.  A lot of guys will complain about them but they have been fine for me in my edge.  I load a 180 fp xtreme head at 1.165 oal over 4.8 gr. of titegroup for a consistent 169 170 power factor.  If you use a coated bullet the powder will drop dramatically.  When I was using ibejis I was at 4.3 titegroup.  Every gun is different tho so always work your load up.

There is also a mind melting amount of data around in the reloading forums if you look around.  

Agree with this.

There are crap tons of posts out there with good load data. That's where I started.
Just check everything you read against a manual.

The first thing you should do is determine what OAL your Edge likes, and feeds reliably.  I also shoot a CZ 75 TS, and had lots of bullets loaded for Limited Major at 1.126" to 1.135" OAL.  I tried them and my Edge fed them fine using STI, Infinity (gen 1) and MBX mags. So now I've standardized on Truncated Cone bullets at 1.135" for both.  It makes life easier.

For Limited Major, you don't want boatloads of slow powder in the case, so there is zero reason to load long unless required to for feeding reasons.  Loading load requires more powder for the same velocity, so why bother if you don't have to.

I've standardized on Alliant e3 for 40sw Major and minor loads.  It has no temperature sensitivity, burns cleanly, exhibits no muzzle flash and is obtainable.  My Major load is Mixed HS brass, CCI 500, 3.6gr e3, 180 LTC bullet.  That load also works with some of the slicker poly coated, but not for anything coated with the Hi-Tek coating.  I need 3.7gr to make 172PF with them.  2.8gr with the same bullets is my Minor load at 139PF.  Both shoot to the same POI, so I'm happy.

Universal clays 4.8 1.180.                  T.G. 4.5 1.180 ovl.                            N320.  4.6.    1.180.                         Every gun is different must crono your loads, these are my top 3.   

On August 17, 2016 at 6:59 AM, zzt said:

For Limited Major, you don't want boatloads of slow powder in the case,

I use power pistol & 180 grain bayou at 1.18 in my 40 cal 2011's .

I don't know if that is thought of as a slow powder, but I have gone through a few pounds & it does what I want it to.

I like the idea of keeping peak pressure down as you can for gun life, that may be more mind candy than effective strategy however.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/16/2016 at 5:51 PM, Greg5611 said:

I just purchased a STI Edge 40 S&W Competition Ready Pistol from Dawson.  I would like to reload for USPSA Limited division and would prefer to not reinvent the wheel.  What have others found to be an optimum reload for competition and accuracy?  I would be interested to know what people are shooting in terms of bullet weight/brand/typd, powder mfg/type/weight, C.O.L. etc.)  Thanks to everyone in advance for your advice.

4.2 WST, 200 Bayou, COL 1.180 and brass and any sp primer makes 169-172 in any gun I've owned

never gone below 169 PF at any match from 20-90 degrees ( i load to 172PF)

On 8/16/2016 at 8:07 PM, Stangs55 said:

4.7 gr Titegroup
180 gr Zero JHP
1.182 COL

Similar. 

4.7gr TG w/180gr Xtreme @ 1.180" makes 169PF in my Para Pro Custom 5".

Same load makes 172.5PF in my 6" STI Eagle.

3.7gr TG w/180gr Xtreme @ 1.180" makes 128PF in same gun for minor and is very accurate. 

To an earlier point, 4.7gr TG w/180gr Blue Bullets @ 1.180" makes 185PF (oops). I still have to work that load down. 

18 hours ago, Ryan626 said:

my loads for my stock edge: 

Ibejiheads 190 gr 4.3 N320 was 172 Pf at USPSA Limited Nats a couple of weeks ago (My favorite at the moment)
Ibejiheads 200 gr 4.1. N320 is 171-172 pf at last yr USPSA Limited Nats

Hi Ryan.  What is your OAL on the 200gr?  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...