Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate popple holes

Honkeymcgee

On 8/26/2016 at 7:39 PM, js1130146 said:

1 more question. Would I need to put something inside the barrel to drill into? Or is that not an issue?

I did because I was afraid of burrs on the inside of the barrel

i hammered a dead soft lead bullet down the bore in the area of where I drilled to prevent that

i did mine on a drill press and it was easy to tell when the bit hit the lead

2 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

I think you're right Ben, that was probably 3/8", not 3/16"

That sounds about right.  So far, I like the bit larger spacing of popples better than the very tight spacing.

Edited by theWacoKid

1 hour ago, rishii said:

I did because I was afraid of burrs on the inside of the barrel

i hammered a dead soft lead bullet down the bore in the area of where I drilled to prevent that

i did mine on a drill press and it was easy to tell when the bit hit the lead

I don't think it could hurt.  However, from what I've seen with pistol barrels, it is not necessary.  In fact I tested it to the extreme.  I punched 4 popple holes in a barrel starting with a center drill  and working up with a couple drill bits.  The drill bits left the typical burrs inside.  I picked at them best I could to remove the bulk of the material and then finished the deburring process by firing montana golds down my barrel that were loaded to minor.  After that I went straight to major loads.  Inside of the barrel is now excellent and accuracy is just as good as it was.  I won't go into how bad I've destroyed lands and grooves in barrels, but it seems that as long as the throat and crown of a barrel is good and the bore seals it will at the least hold more than acceptable uspsa accuracy.

Having tested this I will say my next holes will be done the same way only the final hole sizing will be done by plunging an end mill.

1 hour ago, adamge said:

Have you guys considered spacing the holes such that they are entirely in the grooves?  Might be better than having them in the lands or partially in each.

I expect it's irrelevant for the same reasons as explained in my above post. 

I can't come up with any reasoning of why it would have any substantial effects.