Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate popple holes

Honkeymcgee

I am thinking about adding some popple holes to my Czechmate but have a couple questions about it. 

1. How many should I go with?

2. How big of a hole?

3. How far back should I start them? (Drill through the comp body or start before the threads on the barrel start)

4. How much space between the holes?

This is for a 9mm shooting uspsa major. 

Thanks in advance for the help. 

OK so you could get away with 3-4 holes and still make Major, I feel like if you drill do many holes you have to go to heavier bullets or faster powder, you're going in the wrong direction.

Have you ever tried 3N38 under 115s?

Either way, three 5/32" holes, 3/16" on center, tipped 10 degrees back towards the shooter starting at the intersection of slide and comp work pretty well.  If you're using an upright C-More without a blast shield you might skip the tipped back part ;)

IMG_2203.jpg

Thanks. Almost exactly how I was planning on doing it. The CZ comp has a lot of meat behind the muzzle of the barrel so I will have 2 on the comp and one right behind the intersection. 

Going to go with straight because I don't have a blast shield. 

3/16 on center, is that the spacing you are referring to between holes?  

2 hours ago, zzt said:

ka, do more poppels equal flatter shooting?

Within limits I'd say that's a reasonable assumption; the feel of an Open gun is a very personal thing and there are always trade offs:  flatness, loudness, slap in the hand, etc.  One comp design may perform best with a different volume/pressure of gas at the muzzle, and number/size/location of holes in the barrel effect that; in my experience, most comps benefit from at least two holes.

Edited by kneelingatlas

On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 7:34 AM, kneelingatlas said:

OK so you could get away with 3-4 holes and still make Major, I feel like if you drill do many holes you have to go to heavier bullets or faster powder, you're going in the wrong direction.

Either way, three 5/32" holes, 3/16" on center, tipped 10 degrees back towards the shooter starting at the intersection of slide and comp work pretty well.  If you're using an upright C-More without a blast shield you might skip the tipped back part ;)

IMG_2203.jpg

What pistol is this in the pic?  If it's a CZ could you post a few more pics like what it lol like with an open slide.  

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 7:34 AM, kneelingatlas said:

What type of bit did you use for the barrel and slide holes? Are popple holes doable with a drill press or is a mill mandatory?

7 hours ago, js1130146 said:

1 more question. Would I need to put something inside the barrel to drill into? Or is that not an issue?

I've never found it to be an issue, I look down the barrel while punching through so I stop short of the other side.

• 2 weeks later...
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 5:29 PM, js1130146 said:

I'm tempted to give it a go myself, but still on the fence. Thanks for the info guys

Hey bud, check out my Czechmate review I did in the open pistol section. I just updated with some pics of the holes I did my self.  Schedules weren't lining up with my friend so I just busted out the dremel and drill press and knocked it out. 

• 1 month later...
On August 16, 2016 at 10:42 PM, kneelingatlas said:

Yes, 3/16" between the centers of the holes.

Double check that. 3/16" on centers with 5/32" holes leaves 1/32" between hole edges. That's not what that picture shows and if you chamfered holes that close even the chamfers would touch. 

I think you have 3/16" between hole edges, which is what I'd suggest since you can still punch the holes to 3/16" and then have 5/32" between hole edges. 

Edited by theWacoKid