Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preparation routine before Stand By

hyasuma

Figured I may as well add my two cents in here. Went to a match over the weekend. Was still working on my plan and trying to focus. The shooter in the order before me wasn't there and suddenly I was the shooter. I said, sure I got this. Plan was half done, stage was a blur in the pre are you ready faze and then the timer went off. The results just re-enforced what everyone before me has said. Make a plan, stick to it, rehearse it and the execute it. Stay with the same routine everytime, whatever works best for you and don't waiver from it or the results will definitely show it. 

Good of luck everyone and shoot fast and straight!!!

• In the hole
    • Add how ever mags I need + an oh shit mag to my belt. 
    • Visualize my plan
    • Paste, while still visualizing
  • On Deck
    • Be standing behind the start position but out of the way while shooter before me gets ready
    • Assume the start position when the shooter does
    • On beep move hands as if I was drawing and visualize my plan again
    • Turn on dot 
    • Walk the stage for one last time, but only once
    • Go back to start position and visualize while using controlled slow breathing
  • Shooter
    • On LAMR I cock the hammer, unlock the holster, and then draw to finding the dot and dryfire (taking a step into the shooting area if outside, or towards my first position)
    • Insert first mag (or barney if needed) and rack the slide
      • switch to 1st mag if barney, give it an extra smack, and then a tug
      • eject mag then reseat it if no barney, give it an extra smack and then a tug
    • holster, and leave hand on grip
    • move support hand to start position
    • close eyes for a second and remind myself of 3 things
      • Solid grip
      • Get the hits
      • Execute draw fast but safe
    • Move head to be facing towards what I chose (usually a target or position, sometimes i am looking at my gun)
    • move hand from grip to start position
    • nod slightly at "are you ready"

What I really like about your pre-plan is that most everything is done before you are told to make ready. As an RO and a competitor, someone who takes ten minutes to stop moving is just annoying. I know they have the time, but a lot of it could be accomplished prior to make ready. 

• 5 months later...

Here's why one should get into a pre-shoot routine...

My last match I shot at last year was cold, pissing rain and 12 shooters bunched up under a popup tent trying to stay warm and dry.

The stage calls for a loaded pistol table start all mags on the table. Most of the times I've had unloaded table starts so for some reason, this one kinda threw me off a little.  I get called to the line (first shooter for that stage) and I could hear my buddy chirping me while I walk up to the table which had me preoccupied laughing a little. I lay down my mags and arrange them properly, I get the command to LAMR. Loaded up the pistol with the Barney mag, re-holstered the Barney mag in my last mag pouch as normal, lowered the hammer and then placed it on the table.

The RO asks, " You all sorted out?"

Me, "Yes sir."

RO, "You 100% sure?"

Me <kinda cocky>, "Hell yeah!"

RO, "Ooookay... Shooter Ready?" BEEEEP!

Grabbed the pistol, engage target, BANG, second shot is an unusual long trigger pull and CLICK. I'm thinking WTF thinking it's a dud, racked the slide, reengage target, CLICK. Decide to ditch the mag and nothing falls out of the magwell! Stupid me got caught up with my buddy's ribbing that I neglected to load a full mag after I removed the Barney mag.

Lesson learned, when your name gets called up to the line, clear everything from your mind and get into a routine when you're given the LAMR command.  My buddy couldn't stop laughing all the way on the drive home. lol

4 hours ago, Trinimon said:

I neglected to load a full mag after I removed the Barney mag.

I've actually made ALL of the mistakes mentioned above over the past

decade - that's how I compiled this list - The Hard Way.

No ear muffs, no mag, unloaded mag, dot not turned on, etc etc etc.

Gotta go over everything, every time - make sure it's all there    :) 

53 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I've actually made ALL of the mistakes mentioned above over the past

decade - that's how I compiled this list - The Hard Way.

No ear muffs, no mag, unloaded mag, dot not turned on, etc etc etc.

Gotta go over everything, every time - make sure it's all there    :) 

lol, I am just a padawan my Jedi Master.... I'm sure there will be more blunders in my future. :P

• 4 months later...
On 10/31/2017 at 1:53 PM, reverse_edge said:

Think to myself "Man, I should've taken a leak before I got up here." 

This is pretty important. Proper preparation includes a pre-piss and pre-preperation means being properly hydrated haha.

But seriously I'll bring 2 gallons of water to a match and usually finish one after 5 stages. People really under-hydrate especially if you're outside running around in the summer. A single 1 liter Nalgene is simply not enough water for you over a 4+ hour period of mild physical exertion, and it's usually all you see people bring with them. Eating enough before and a snack during will keep you on your A-game throughout the match as well.

Apart from that, which I wouldn't consider a routine so much as just a necessary piece(s) of gear, I do your typical mag load, check them, insert them into my pouches, barney mag, etc.

I do shoot a lot of Steel Challenge matches where you are basically shooting 39 runs throughout the day that are generally all going to be between 2-6 seconds each. This places a huge emphasis on consistent mental prep, since you get to (have to) to do it 39 times.

I like to do the following;

IN THE HOLE;

check mags are loaded, place on belt

Air-gun the stage thinking about the rhythm I will shoot (for steel challenge, USPSA I'll re-run the stage mentally air gunning reloads and target transitions, entries and exits)

SHOOTER's DONE;

I take a drink

while at my gear I'll wash my hands with hand sanitizer and wipe clean with my towel. 

ON DECK;

for the whole shooter's run I stand still, eyes closed, down range, and breathe deeply while visualizing my run. Visualizing is big, read about it, lots of pro athletes use it. This puts me completely in my zone, nothing other than my stage on my mind. Not mags, not my gun, not that I have to piss, think only. the. stage.

LAMR;

take the shooters box

place mag to start with in pocket

proper footing (clear uneven stones, feel comfortable, place feet where they should be)

slow draw once, dry fire on first target, air gun the transitions

holster gun

quick draw with a dry fire, air gun transitions

load gun with my 11 round mag

holster gun

assume start position with gun hand only (don't want to confuse RO)

3 dry "gun-grabs" this is moving from the start position (surrender, hands at side, etc.) to getting my master grip on the gun before drawing. This cements in my head the very first movement I will do after the BEEP and ensures I have the correct proprioception (knowing where my gun is in space without looking) and that I will get my strong hand on the pistol in the right way to guarantee my correct grip once my support hand meets the gun. 

SC BETWEEN STAGES;

Load fresh mag

holster gun

3 dry "gun-grabs"

Long post but I never deviate from this and I do a couple things extra that most don't;

Hydrate all day

meditate/visualize before stage

recreate first moments of the stage (grip, draw, sight picture, trigger pull) just before shooting the stages