Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MaxxTech- Stepped to a whole new level

Andy0689

Found these in the mix after policing up my brass at the indoor range yesterday.  Haven't seen any on here so I thought I'd share.  These are 9mm MaxxTech cases with a step inside like I've never seen before.  There's a FM stepped case in the mix on the photo so you can kinda see the difference (right side.)  I threw one on the press and they won't even go into a resizing die so they're easy to find and little risk of one getting through.  If one does, I imagine it would look way overcharged when you fill it.  

They're pretty solid too.  Sounds more like a chunk of metal hitting the ground than an empty case.  I compared weights and with a regular 9mm case coming in at around 60 gr, these puppies are tipping the scale at about 85 gr.

FullSizeRender-1_zps94vtqaod.jpg

2 hours ago, olstyn said:

I'd be curious to know what the difference in case volume is.  There's no free lunch; PV=nrT regardless, so for any given charge weight, pressure must be significantly elevated vs a normal case.

Pic is with with CFE Pistol at 5.4 gr. Bad pics...sorry. The Maxx case on the right has powder spilling over the step. I tried to tap and shake it down a bit but no go. It completely fills the volume below the inner rim. I'd be afraid to reload these even in a powder's mid range. Case on the left is non-stepped.

I have about 30 of these if anyone wants to play with them.  As of now, they're headed to the recycle bin.  Or I could send them into FM for credit. lol

2 hours ago, bowenbuilt said:

That's one way to prevent a bullet setback. Wow!

And you'd have really consistent OALs!!

image.jpeg

Never heard if this ammo before so I looked it up. Bosnian steel  cased ammo according to the net.  Lots of complaints about the ammo    

I have never had an issue with FM cases and the step but these seem to be an different animal 

Edited by Sandbagger123