Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

357 Magnum powders

pskys2

Update:  Shot a club match field course, only 1 though as I only had 8 hearthco moon clips with star 357 magnum brass, ran fine but loud.  Got every ones attention  The COF after the magnums I used 38 short colt, felt like shooting an airsoft.  Magnums were great didn't seem to cost me any time, got good hits.  Was a true BLAST to shoot the 124 jhp @ 1530 f/s may do it some more.  Still looking for 2400 though, anyone have any sources I'll try to get to them before they ran out.  Thanks for the heads up vmaxx606, but they were out by the time I got there. 

Edited by pskys2

I settled on W296/H110 in the .357 mag. It had great accuracy and velocity.  I have on my to do list to try some Lil' Gun. Wasn't a whole lot of published data for Lil" Gun for .357 mag a few years back when I first got this powder to try in a .44 mag. so I didn't bother to pursue it. But I can tell you Lil' Gun in the .44 mag is by far the best powder I ever used...superb accuracy and some impressive velocities. ( I don't recall the velocities but it was no problem to get 3 shot groups that were covered by a quarter out of a Super Blackhawk at 50 yards). So based on that I would bet it's worth a try in the .357 mag. I tried other powders mentioned here and most weren't bad but the two that stick out in my mind were Blue Dot and 2400. Blue Dot was a high flash powder. Early morning or last light shots while hunting would be one shot opportunities as the flash was blinding. Then 2400, some people swear by it, my experience was always dismal results in both .357 and 44 mag. It was the "best option" for a magnum powder back in the day. Most of the modern magnum powders today surpass it in my opinion.