Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

357 Magnum powders

pskys2

I know Alliant 2400 can use SP Primers and gives good velocity, but it's hard to find right now. (know of any sources?)

Vitahouri N110 looks like it gives similar velocity but will it work with a SP Primer?

Don't have any Magnum Primers at this time, have plenty of SP Primers.

Tried and don't like AA5, 571, 540 or Unv Clys.   And H110 and 296 need Magnum Primers.

Tried Titegroup and max load gives about 150 f/s less than what I want.

Any thoughts? Looking at a 125 JHP at 1400 f/s.

Look at data manuals and try the medium to slow burners. Blue Dot is a good one. Even Unique will give you some speed. 

If you don't have to have top velocities, lots of powders will work with any primer. 

Tried most and they struggle to get to 1300 f/s.  I'm not new to reloading, going on 45 years ugh, 9 major/38 super data are kind of apples to oranges as I used SRP's when I had an Open gun and the case volume is way different.  Was kind of thinking some hunters may have some data that would be helpful.  

I do have 3 lbs of OLD H110, cardboard can with metal pop in lid.  Going to try it with 20 grains of H110 and Fed SPP.  If what I've ferreted out is correct it may work and at worst may not ignite.  We'll see tomorrow.

Edited by pskys2

The data provided by the powder manufacturers will tell you which type of primer they recommend for each particular load combination. There's not a lot of difference between magnum pistol primers and std small rifle primers from some manufacturers either, if you have SR primers on hand. I've seen some reports of good ignition with 296/H110 & std primers in hot weather, but that seems to change when it gets cold.

If you already have 296/H110, the cheapest change you can make is magnum primers. If you absolutely will not use small pistol magnum primers, I believe that AA #9 is probably going to be the powder to use.

Regardless of what you do, you'll need to start your load development all over again.

Ok here is what I'm seeing from my 627 PC.  Using Fed Small Pistol Primers 17.5 2400 with 125 xtp 1380 f/s, same with MG 355 124 JHP gave 1443 f/s and better accuracy, crimped over the ogive of the bullet.

19.6 H110 with F100 and 125 xtp 1414 f/s, really like it but am going up to 20.0.

19.6 H110 with F100 and 124 355 MG JHP was 1386 f/s.

Had enough 2400 to load 49 rounds of the 124 load.  

If the 125 xtp with 20.0 H110 and federal small pistol primers give me around 1450 f/s I'll load up 200+ and try them throughout the year, especially when it gets colder.

Just to see if lack of Magnum Primers will have an effect at various temps/conditions.

Edited by pskys2

19 hours ago, FortyOverUnder said:

Are you against Winchester primers? They are good for standard and magnum. I use them for my 357 and 10mm loads with no issue.

I can't comment on the powder issue as we have tons of 2400 and Herco my way to satisfy my 357 and 44 needs.

My stash is Federal Primers.  I'd be happy with 4 lbs of 2400.  Trying to work up a good load that equals the Federal Factory 125 SJHP load in my 627 PC it has an action job and don't want to change the 5 1/2 lbs it is set at.  The Federal load is what I'd carry and the handload will be for coyote's and critters on the ranch.  Plus it's fun to play at 100 yds with a Revolver.  So far I like the H110 with Federal 100 primers, will see how it holds up when it gets colder this winter, my guess is if it's going to cause issues it will be then.

I used standard primers for years with H110 and W296.  No issues, but it was mostly in .44 magnum loads.

My favorite powder for 125 grain hollow points years ago was Blue Dot.  I did use 2400 as well, but Blue Dot gave me the best groups.

I used either Federal or CCI primers at that time.  I never saw anything else in the gun stores.

I don't have chrono data at hand, but AA#7 has worked well for me in 357 and 44 using std primers.

WW296 and spm primer gets easily >1650fps out of 5" barrel and that's just middle of the chart load.

I'm a 158gr guy, but I get ~1250 with Blue Dot pretty easily. 6" GP100. 

Same. Just got back from chrono. 16.6 H110 under 158 XTP gave 1200 but 16.2 grouped and "felt" better. Blue Dot meter alright? H110 was a mess in the Dillon.

1 hour ago, MNshooter said:

Same. Just got back from chrono. 16.6 H110 under 158 XTP gave 1200 but 16.2 grouped and "felt" better. Blue Dot meter alright? H110 was a mess in the Dillon.

Blue Dot is similar to Bullseye but larger flakes. I've never used it in my 650, but suspect it would work fine. 

From my PC 627 8 shot, tuned for competition.

Hornady 125 XTP and 20.5 H110 with F100 Primers gave me consistent 1523 f/s.  Seemed good, very accurate.  Loaded up 150 rounds and plan on testing throughout the year.  Especially when it gets cold this winter.  And it sounds like we're in for it if the Almanac is correct.  

355 124 JHP Montana Gold (crimped over the ogive and it's what I had at the moment) and 17.5 2400 with F100 gave me 1476 and was very accurate.  Had enough 2400 to load up 49 rounds.

In comparison Factory Federal 125 JHP loads gave me 1485 f/s and no misfires.

I am happy with these loads, all hit same POI and are 1 1/2" at 25 yds. from a rest.

So next USPSA match, going to shoot my 627 with match loads, minor, except on the classifier and I'll go with the H110 loads, be the hottest Minor at the match I'm sure.  Change from a .250 FS to a .200 FS and the H110 loads groups right where I want .  It will give me a good feel for how it handles.

Planning on using my Comp-Tec IWB CTAC holster also!  Would be nice if HK came out with some 8 shot speed loaders.  Have 2 of the 5 Star 8 shot Speed Loaders and don't like them as much as HK products, the rounds are looser and the knob turns CCW which seems unnatural.  So I'll use .025 Moon Clips and RP Brass, which works real good. 

Now if I could just get some other Revo's to come out.  Heck I'd shoot the whole match with an H110 load.

Edited by pskys2