Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First batch of 50 rounds completed on my new to me 550b, and having pr

Hi just finished my first 50 rounds of 9mm with my new to me 550b. Overall it was pretty great compared to my lee classic turret. However, i have noticed in checking many (+50%) of my rounds are not passing my case gauge. The bottom of the round is mushroomed somewhat nd the rounds do not fit flush in the gauge.

I figure i could make it work somewhat, but i must be doing something wrong in terms of setting up my dies. I checked all my dies, and found the bulge starts at station 1. Any tips or suggestions on what i can do to remediate this? I never had this kind of problem with the lee, so kind of stumpped here.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

K

What sizing die are you using and what did your brass fire from? On my 550 using dillon die set, I had some glocked/walther cases that were bulged. One of the competion shooters, running a 650, I met said to grind the sizing die. I ground off the white metal up to the carbide insert, now I have no problems case gauging any brass so far my 9mm in my lyman gauge. When they fit the lyman they fit all my 9mm pistols.

Edited by rustybayonet

I redid my lyman sizing die, and pushed it all thew way down, and then backed if off a smidge.  I resized some of the bulged rounds and they are good to go in the egw and lyman sizers.

I ran another ten rounds through and my problem seems to be resolved in terms of sizing now.  Thanks for everyones help on this you were all so helpful.

And to answer Rusty's question most of this brass was from my pistols (STI 2011, and HK p30) so i do not think either of this cause that problem.

K

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update, using the new U die, and some cleaning and lube of the primer slide thing (I cannot remember the name of it) the machine is now running great.  Nothing is sticking, and i am running about 250 + rounds an hour in a calm and controlled pace.  

This is so nice compared to my old Lee press, thanks again to everyone for their help.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You'll want a 650 within a few months.

And a 1050 within a few months more.

Fair warning. ;)

That was me.  Wanted to be able to be as efficient as possible with my limited window to reload.  I could crank out 300 comfortably with the 550, but can approach 600 comfortably with the 650.  I'm glad I had the 550 first.  I learned a lot as far as how to set things up correctly and was able to concentrate on each individual step.  That was invaluable.  Doubt I'll want to go to a 1050 though.....at least not yet..;)

Hi just finished my first 50 rounds of 9mm with my new to me 550b. Overall it was pretty great compared to my lee classic turret. However, i have noticed in checking many (+50%) of my rounds are not passing my case gauge. The bottom of the round is mushroomed somewhat nd the rounds do not fit flush in the gauge.

I figure i could make it work somewhat, but i must be doing something wrong in terms of setting up my dies. I checked all my dies, and found the bulge starts at station 1. Any tips or suggestions on what i can do to remediate this? I never had this kind of problem with the lee, so kind of stumpped here.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

K

Hi Ya, all above are good answers. But I went and bought an undersized die from EGW also. And that did miracles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2016 at 10:33 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

When you get the itch to make A/M/GM glass and shoot 700+ rounds a week in practice, you'll get the 1050 bug.

"I used to really enjoy foreplay, now I just make the butler do it"

Point being even at significantly less than that you can get to where you are just really sick of reloading.

A Lee factory crimp die cut my reject rate in half, for what it is worth, 9mm & Stoeger case gauge, I like that option because it seems like the fcd only requires additional effort when you need additional effort instead of on every case. 

Most folks turn sizing die down until it contacts shell plate.  Then turn it a tiny bit lower.  Enough so when nothing is in the press, you feel shell plate contact sizing die before full stroke & it kind of "cams over" to finish stroke.  That gets maximum resize.  Not much contact but a little bit.  Loading a tapered round like 9mm, this really helps avoid feeding issues.

The EGW die has a tight tolerance and is likely to reject rounds which would chamber and shoot just fine.

The only time I use an EGW die is for when I shoot .40S&W out of my Trojan. It needs to be perfect or it will have issues.

I use the Dillon dies except for the crimp, which is a factory crimp die, because the adjustment is a lot easier than on the Dillon die. 

Also what looks like a "bulge" is probably simply the "Coke bottle" shape that is normal in 9mm cartridges and, even if it does not case gauge in your EGW die, it may very well be perfectly shootable.

Unless you're shooting 9mm open major, I would just case gauge them at the range!

On November 13, 2016 at 8:30 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

You'll want a 650 within a few months.

And a 1050 within a few months more.

Fair warning. ;)

This is pretty true.  I think I used my 550 a month or so before stepping up to a 650.  I have been on my 650 a few months now and have that 1050 gleam in my eye.  

To your problem,  Are you seating coated lead by chance?

• 2 months later...