Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

carbine muzzle movment

i pretty sure my AR is tuned

light weight buffer system, brake, adj gas, light weight BCG

i don't think i could squeeze any more performance out of it....

almost no muzzle rise

16 inch barrel

what i'm observing in my shooting and others shooting my rifle is a slight lateral movement to right (i'm right handed) both mod weaver and isoceles

my groups and splits are way faster and better than hand gun

please advise

i'm relatively new to this style of shooting

Jack is telling me right

Tenn is telling me left

I'll try both.........

I guess I read Jack's post wrong. You want to clock the top of the brake toward the direction of movement/recoil. If the gun is moving to the right, then clock the top of the brake toward the right (at 1-1:30, as you're looking down the rifle from stock to muzzle).

• 2 years later...

Due to the movement of your BODY, there will always be a bit of high and strong side movement, unless you tune a break so much it overcomes that.

Your actual grip/stance tying you into the carbine can greatly affect how the muzzle moves.

Try the technique of "throwing a punch" into the back of the rifle, rolling your strong side shoulder forward, and using the entire right side of your body to set tension. Imagine what you do when you throw a punch.

Having a small amount of torque to the right is not necessarily a bad thing. Use it to your advantage, when engaging steel, shoot left to right and let the torque help you transition from one target to another. When shooting paper, shoot right to left swinging through, letting the torque momentarily stop the barrel and putting nice pairs on the target. Of course, you can't do this in all situations, but it can be used when possible. 

Torque is a product of barrel twist, it can be counteracted with body mechanics and/or gas vectoring.

Hurley

59 minutes ago, HRider said:

Torque is a product of barrel twist, it can be counteracted with body mechanics and/or gas vectoring.

So, if it was a weird comblok barrel that has opposite barrel twist, you're saying the gun would recoil left in a right handed shooter?

3 minutes ago, Timmeh said:

So, if it was a weird comblok barrel that has opposite barrel twist, you're saying the gun would recoil left in a right handed shooter?

Actually a buddy of mine was running a left twist barrel on his PRS rifle for a while. He said it twisted into his body where it was easier to mitigate rather than away from it. His wind calls were different than his teammates though so he pulled the plug on his left twist experiment.

14 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Actually a buddy of mine was running a left twist barrel on his PRS rifle for a while. He said it twisted into his body where it was easier to mitigate rather than away from it. His wind calls were different than his teammates though so he pulled the plug on his left twist experiment.

It would be an interesting experiment, while it may effect it, I think the side of the body it is on is more important.

My argument would be that even left handed shooters have high left movement with right-hand twist barrel.

It kinda makes me want to try it! 

Edited by Timmeh
Spelling

If the barrel has opposite twist, it will torque the opposite way. For every action, there is an opposite reaction. 

Try going to the range and placing your rifle hand guard in the lower right corner of a window on a sturdy barricade. Hold the hand guard tight into the corner and put 5 rounds on a paper target at 12-15 yards as fast as you can pull the trigger. Notice your hits. Do the same thing from the left corner of the window and notice your hits. Most people will have hits closer together from the right corner because the barricade is keeping the rifle from pushing. This has been my experience anyway.

Think about it, your shotgun probably doesn't push to one side or the other.

Hurley

I think which shoulder you shoot from will have much more effect on which way the gun moves than which way the twist runs in the barrel.  I also think you'll get way more reaction from a shotgun as the recoil is much heavier than 9mm or .223.

• 2 weeks later...