Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting all over

mvslay

I made a cheap airsoft plate rack.  I got some 2" electrical box knock outs and hinges.  The total cost was around $20.  I mounted it to some scrap 2x4.  The best sequence for me seems to be focus on the front sight, fire, shift my eyes to the next target, then drive the front sight to target and refocus on the front sight.  I can tell my eyes are shifting and getting quicker at reaquiringthe front sight.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot a match last Saturday (Nov 19th).  I did horribly.  I had 2 malfunctions and did poorly on the other stages.  I believe a dirty gun and some poorly sized brass were the culprits.  I have been getting the air soft out more.  I'll hopefully get some live fire time in next week.

Edited by mvslay
Grammar

• 2 weeks later...

I shot a Level 1 match today.  It was 7 stages.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make it to the range for any live fire and it showed.  I need to work on long distance paper and trigger control.  I had 1 minor fail to feed.  I did ok,  I should have done better.  11th overall out of 27, 1st in Class/Division, 5th in Division @ 74.95% of a Master.  I won my first stage overall today.  I won the Stage 1 which was mixture of walls and barrels and a lot of foot work.  I have a lot more work and need to find some time to do live fire on the range.  I should have made a 43.9% on the classifier. 

• 4 weeks later...

I shot a match on Dec 17th.  I generally did poorly.  I came in 16th out of 29.  There were a lot of upper level shooters, but I definitely was not 100%.

I made a range trip on the 29th.  I made a new best plate rack time of 4.15s @ 10 yds.  I got a draw and shoot of 1.24 at 8" steel at 12 yds.  It was a generally productive trip.

I brought my cousin on the 30th.  I did a little long distance paper from behind a barricade. I had good hits at up to 40 yds.  We ran the same scenario with an AR.  I was far quicker and more accurate with the pistol (3 targets at 35-40 yds move forward and re-engage at 15yds mandatory reload for the pistol).  I'd be better with the AR if I practiced with it.  I've said in close quarters a pistol is better and to me that reinforces the point. I also did some draw on 7yd paper.  I was consistent in the 1.24-1.34 second range in the A-zone.  I did make 1 attempt at a maximum speed minimum sight picture shot.  I did a 0.94 second Center of the A zone hit.  If only I could do that consistent!

• 3 weeks later...

I shot the local match today.  It was a make-up for the last week that was canceled.  I came in 7th overall out of 25.  One open C-class beat me in class.  I came in the 3rd in Limited.  I was beat by a B-class and an unclassified limited (He's an A production though).  I sucked badly at El Prez strong and weak.  I need to practice that one. It's a good mix of reloads and strong/weak shooting.  I built my first stage today too.  I put a bunch of longer paper in.  My longer paper shots are getting better.  Also last week I hit the indoor range.  I shot the NRA instructor pre-qualifier.  I can pass it at up to 55' and the standard is 45'.  I hope to get that and do some introductory pistol and get a little extra range time.

• 4 weeks later...

I shot a match on Feb 4.  I came in about the 1/3.  I had a fairly bad performance but still had a decent placement.  I shot a 42 % on my Classifier despite clearing a FTF (mental not replace mag Springs ASAP).  I re-shot it after the match and made a 61% without having to push to hard to do it.  If I can square up my mental mistakes I believe B class is only a few matches away.  I made 2 trips prior to that and worked el strong and weak presidente.  That classifier is a pretty thorough drill with 2 reloads 2 draws and strong and weak hand shooting.  The best I've done it in practice is about a 51%.  I also need to work on transitioning to my right when it is near 180 degree transition.  I've had like 3 misses on that scenario in the last couple of matches.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a good match today.  I had 2 Mikes on one stage.  I had one mag change timing error.  I came in 8th overall, 3rd in Limited and 1st in Combined C class.  I shot just under 63% on El Presidente.  That's 2 Low B Classifiers in a row!  Sadly I'm going to be bumping my highest score out soon.  I just wish I could get more range time.  I need CCI to sponsor me with about 10K primers LOL. 

I shot my first match "on the road"(away from my local club).  I shot Brothers N Arms in Hattiesberg, MS.  I did pretty bad.  I had one good stage (I shot it at 75% of a GM in the same class).  Every other stage I was plagued by mental errors, malfunctions, or both.  So here are some of the reasons/excuses I did so poorly.  1.  I did not sleep much the night before.  I can tell a real difference when I don't get a good nights sleep.  2.  I didn't do my maintenance.  I usually clean the gun before matches.  I didn't do that.  I also know my mag springs need to be replaced and I've known it.  3.  I didn't do my dry fire as much this week.  Work was heavy this week and I didn't stay on top of my practice.  That made me slow on acquiring the sights.  4.  I let the malfunctions and fatigue break my concentration.

• 3 weeks later...

I shot the Alabama Sectional.  I was a bit disappointed at my performance.  I had an FTE that kind of shook me.  I could have done better.  Stage planning and execution was my weakest point.  I began doing a little Cardio.  I need to really get on that.  My handgun skills are now better than my movement.  To progress I'll need to work on my movement.  I also shot the local match this weekend.  I did better in my opinion.  It is definitely time to get some range practice in.  The days are longer so hopefully I can some time in at the club.