Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noticeable bulge in the case from BBI 147gr bulllets

PPGMD

I was working up a 147gr load today, and noticed that there is a bulge in the case from the BBI 147gr bullet. Is that normal?

Around the bullet it was running about .38" while below the bulge it was .375". I checked and the bulge wasn't there until seating and the bullet isn't canted.

It gauges fine, but the bulge is just weird.

You could be seating the bullet deep enough that the base of the bullet is encountering the area where the brass begins to thicken toward the base of the case. This would cause a bulge at the base of the bullet.

Yes it is a bit like a Coke bottle. My seating is near what many report using at 1.1380" (I was aiming for 1.1350" but with the Dillon dies you sometimes have to take what you can get).

Something like this, but a hair more dramatic?

https://gunbot.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/wp_000151.jpg

As the others have said... totally normal. If it drops into your barrel and spins freely, you know you aren't loaded too long for your chamber (but isn't grabbing rifling) and that the case is sized properly. Go shoot!

I've had this issue with my 9mm BBI 147 grain loads.

The loads that pass the plunk test are very accurate but I've found BBI to be inconsistent and the bulging can get pretty bad.

I've had bulged loads that shoot and cycle without any problem, but I've found the BBIs bulge way more than other 147 grain loads.  I also have issues with the coating shaving off at the edge of the brass case as the bullet is seated.  I've over belled the brass in an effort to avoid this but still have the problem.  Haven't had that problem with other molys that I load.  I liked the accuracy of the BBIs but many of them that didn't pass the gauge / plunk test, found them to be inconsistent loading.

Edited by 3GDad

39 minutes ago, 3GDad said:

I've had this issue with all of my 9mm BBI 147 grain loads.  Much worse than any other 147 grain projectiles I've loaded.

The loads that pass the plunk test are very accurate but I've found BBI to be very inconsistent and the bulging can get pretty bad.

I've had bulged loads that shoot and cycle without any problem, but I've found the BBIs bulge way more than other 147 grain loads.  I also have issues with the coating shaving off at the edge of the brass case as the bullet is seated.  I've over belled the brass in an effort to avoid this but still have the problem.  Haven't had that problem with other molys that I load.  I liked the accuracy of the BBIs but had way too many of them that didn't pass the gauge / plunk test, found them to be very inconsistent loading, and gave up on them.

That is literally the first negative review of Chandlers bullets that I have ever read. I found BBI's to be among the best bullets available, and I have tried a bunch!

I really liked the accuracy, just had lots of trouble with seating them in the brass and many didn't pass and had to be tossed. I'm new to reloading and was hoping to find a work around, they were the most accurate of all the molys I tried.

Edited by 3GDad

I have that issue with 124gr JHPs from Precision Delta.  In fact, the bulge was bad enough that I had to use a Lee FCD to get the rounds to pass my LE Wilson gage.  The Dillon crimp die failed (and even sometimes failed the barrel test, too in my Glock!)

The blue 147 flat points are less problematic.

as others above I too had issues.  manageable by culling out certain brass, but still had ocassional faill

i will return to 147 flat points soon and permenantly.

yep, have recently had a much higher than normal failure rate with that bullet. Some I'm sure I can blame on brass but not all. i've loaded enough 9mm to know what a correct or traditional wasp waist or coke bottle look is. in my case it was different and not in a positive way.

i had to load longer and that fixed some of it.