Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uzi mag extension

bmiller

Shot my first official PCC match Sunday. I had a blast! I shoot a PSA 9mm that takes Colt mags. I couldn't find any extended base pads for that style of mags. So I printed my own. It is working pretty good with the stock spring loading it to 38 rounds. This version fits a modified Uzi mag. Going to make one to fit an Asc mag next.

post-29808-0-37257200-1470856652_thumb.j

Edited by bmiller

Thanks! Printing a +8 right now. Should get to test it tonight. The Asc spring seems to have more tension than the Uzi spring. To be fair, my Uzi mags were scratch and dent specials that might have been used in the 6 day war. I missed that thread posted above somehow. I wonder if there is an extended spring from another application that would work in a really long extension?

Thanks! Printing a +8 right now. Should get to test it tonight. The Asc spring seems to have more tension than the Uzi spring. To be fair, my Uzi mags were scratch and dent specials that might have been used in the 6 day war. I missed that thread posted above somehow. I wonder if there is an extended spring from another application that would work in a really long extension?

Wolff has a +5% Uzi spring. Argentine FMK3 40 round mag springs might work but I haven't seen them for sale separately. There are 10.5 inch springs available online but I haven't compared that to the free length of the Uzi springs.

A member here posted a DIY weld up of 2 Uzi mags on another site where he soldered 2 uzi springs together to get the length he needed.

I think when you get long enough that the follower drops into the basepad you may have issues at the transition. Fortunately the follower is really long so you wind up with some leeway there. I am interested to hear how this turns out!

Luckily there isn't any internal ribs to fight with on my Uzi mags. I have been developing a coupler for my Vepr 12 for a while, the transition between mag sections is a pain. Got it figured out after much nashing of teeth. I think the big Uzi extension should be much easier to do. My +8 should be done in an hour or so. This will answer the question about making a smooth transition as it will allow the spring enough room to let the follower into the extension. My friend has a tig, might need him to weld a coupler on my springs together.

I think this approach to springs is brilliant:

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=586506

Also, my milsurp Uzi mags are incredibly rough. I went ahead and polished all the bearing surfaces on the follower on one mag and it makes a huge difference in how easy the mags load and unload. If you reduce the resistance in the tube you might get away with a stock or near stock spring. In the long run I might get the mag bodies hardchromed and followers coated with a slick finish.

Is anyone else having problems with the mags fountaining? Barfing up a few rounds at once into the receiver?

I have six mags for my lower, still working on getting the upper. One is a Colt, one is a modified Uzi, the rest are not sure. That said, one of my mags does this, it's not the Colt or Uzi mag. I'll have to look at the packaging for the name.

Is anyone else having problems with the mags fountaining? Barfing up a few rounds at once into the receiver?

I have six mags for my lower, still working on getting the upper. One is a Colt, one is a modified Uzi, the rest are not sure. That said, one of my mags does this, it's not the Colt or Uzi mag. I'll have to look at the packaging for the name.

I have 7 of the Brownells Colt mags and it seems that they all do it.

I have 8 RRA branded 32 rounders, and one of the 8 does that when firing. I have 3 Brownell's 20 rounders, and one "UZI" 25 rounder, and they all work fine when firing. However, when manually unloading any of them, they will all spew forth numerous rounds from time to time.

27 minutes ago, jrswanson1 said:

Now if you could just print out a magwell.  Standard AR magwells don't work since the hole the mag goes in is smaller than the one the standard AR mags go into.

That's a great idea!  I'll work on that next week.  I have never needed a mag well personally on my .556 guns, but I think it could help with the pcc.  I have been using my home made kydex mag pouches that I made for my open 2011.  They kind of work.  Thinking about rotating the mags to make insertion easier.  

On a side note, I own the psa mags, modified Uzi, and Asc mags. All of them have a different configuration on the bottom of the mag for retaining the base plate.  Going to work on the psa extension maybe tonight.  

On 8/11/2016 at 11:48 PM, Sarge said:

Thats because they are metal form right. just labeled for brownells?

Not sure.  I assume someone makes them for brownells.  My 32 rounders are Brownells as well.  They are definitely heavy built, thick metal.

On 8/13/2016 at 8:05 AM, bmiller said:

That's a great idea!  I'll work on that next week.  I have never needed a mag well personally on my .556 guns, but I think it could help with the pcc.  I have been using my home made kydex mag pouches that I made for my open 2011.  They kind of work.  Thinking about rotating the mags to make insertion easier.  

Most of the magwells in standard AR lowers are rounded for easier mag insertion.  With the skinnier 9mm mags, you really have to look to make sure that the mag is going in the well. 

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:24 PM, bmiller said:

Thank you for posting that link! I absolutely agree that was pure genius. I hope stealthy chimes in with an update on how that mag has been holding together.

Mick