Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Managing mixture of shotgun shells on belt

What are people doing regarding having a mixture of birdshot, slugs, and buckshot on their belt? Are they running a dedicated caddie for a specific shell type or have dual/quad loads dedicated to specific types?

I am running 2 Invictus Practical 2.8s right now. I am debating on trying to remember which specific dual/quad is dedicated to what or just buying a small caddie that I can dedicate to slugs or buckshot if needed.

I put the shells on the caddies in order of when I'm going to load them. I weak hand quad load so my first load will be the first caddy in front of my left hip. From there I work moving to the next caddie to the right. Some caddies may be all bird or all slugs and other caddies half and half depending on the stage. I work out a plan to shoot the targets in a certain order and load them as they are on my belt.

For make ups I keep slugs in a caddie behind my left hip and extra birdshot by my right hip most of the time. This may vary depending on if it's a primarily slug stage. I don't have caddies dedicated to a certain type of shells because there are so many variations of stages I've seen out there. It would require having 3 times more caddies than I do now.

Edited by jtielke

I put the shells on the caddies in order of when I'm going to load them. I weak hand quad load so my first load will be the first caddy in front of my left hip. From there I work moving to the next caddie to the right. Some caddies may be all bird or all slugs and other caddies half and half depending on the stage. I work out a plan to shoot the targets in a certain order and load them as they are on my belt.

For make ups I keep slugs in a caddie behind my left hip and extra birdshot by my right hip most of the time. This may vary depending on if it's a primarily slug stage. I don't have caddies dedicated to a certain type of shells because there are so many variations of stages I've seen out there. It would require having 3 times more caddies than I do now.

This is a detailed description of exactly what I do.

I strong hand quad load off of Invictus 2.8 and 12Qs.

On lower round count stages I will load up the caddies in the order I am going to load the shells, starting on my right side. If I need to load 4 bird followed by 4 slugs, i will have them on the same caddie. But I will have extras, generally separate caddies by shell type. I end up with extra caddies on my belt most of the time. I like the extras to be my regular caddie type, even if that means some extra stuff on my belt.

On bigger stages I usually separate shell types and grab what I need, when I need it.

I have 2 12Qs and 3 2.8s and that seems to be good for just about any situation. The 12Q packs more shells on less real estate. The 2.8s make it easier to bend over, kneel, sit in cars.

• 2 years later...

I go order of loading into the gun, +extras on the side of my belt. When planning out slugs, try and load them, shoot the bird out of the chamber at a target, shoot your slugs, then continue, mixing in too many other targets or burying your slugs is risky if you like to go fast(but don't we all?)

• 5 months later...

i have two taccom 8 up shell caddies

i load one with birdshot then the top 4 on the second one with birdshot and the bottom 4 with slugs

ive never had to run buck, but generally on any one stage theres not more than 4 slug targets (sure there are entire stages of slugs)

as long as you dont miss your reload you should be fine

Edited by AverageJoeShooting

With experience and confidence, the best way is described above as loading into your caddy(s) in the order you are going to shoot the stage and mixing shells to match your plan. The downfall of this plan is missing a target or reload; once you get "off", it can be tricky to figure out what's still in the gun and where...

Loading most of your caddies with birdshot and then having enough of the other shell-types in different caddies works too.

• 4 months later...

Usually in load order candy caned on the caddie but if its a complex stage I will sometimes just run the chest rig or a different color caddie for the oddball stuff. It helps my slugs, buck, and bird are all different colors.