Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should be a law against this, OR

Sarge

I might be way off here, but doesn't jthe military require ammo to be crimped? Is it possible these are milsurp or brass out of the military? I do not know if Winchester supplies rounds for the US, but I cannot think of any other reason for them to be out there. I can still remember getting the crimp out of a couple of thousand surplus 9MM years back.

Military requires a date stamp. At least U.S.

on the plus side you only have to remove the crimp once.....

I do agree usually the mil crimped win I see is marked WCC and has the little nato stamp on it. Mostly here the mil surp brass gets purchased in bulk by commercial reloaders who process (ie swage + roll size) it first then sell it as reloaded ammo. So often when I find the WCC or other nato stamped brass it already has the crimp removed and is ready for many happy reloadings. :)

It would be nice if there was some requirement for companies to mark crimped brass but in reality there's no incentive for them to do it. Also, seeing the crimp mark is just about as easy as looking for the little nato stamp anyway.

save them up then sell cheap for scrap, or find someone with a 1050. They might given you 500 processed brass for every 1000 of un-processed you give them. I'd take that deal. :)

• 1 month later...

I just purchased a box of Winchester white box 9mm FMJ that are military crimped.  They are all marked WMA and 16.   I know this a bit off topic since it's factory loaded ammo and with the normal military crimped markings but I thought you would find this interesting, nonetheless.

It's been quite a few years since I've purchased Winchester white box, but I don't ever recall seeing the military crimped ammo in the white boxes before.   Is this a common practice now?

• 3 weeks later...

I separate brass by head stamp. Last 3000 I bought had a high percentage of R-P. About 50% of that was crimped. I found no crimped FC or WIN. I had to buy a Dillon  swagger to rescue the R-P stuff....PITA!!

Sounds like a conspiracy against reloading. I just added a Mark 7 to my 650 so no way I'm going to upgrade to a 1050. It won't take Dillon long to release a separate machine to decap and swage brass if this becomes an issue . 

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of what you guys are finding is the nontoxic (lead free) primers for LE ammo.  As we know, lead poisoning is a concern and it is known that primers are the main culprit rather than the bullets, so to reduce the occupational hazard to PD's they market the lead free primed loads.  This is why some of you getting brass from PD ranges are running into it so much.  They crimp all of those loads because the nontoxic priming compound is higher pressure so it keeps them from blowing out of the pocket.  Federal headstamps theirs NT.    

I ran into a rash of this when I first started reloading years ago with .40 and found it in half of the brass I was picking up.  It drove me absolutely nuts until I looked it up and understood it--like the Glock bulge, it was/is a known issue with .40 because of so many PD's running it.  I'll take every bit of it I can get and simply separate it in its own bin until I have enough piled up to make it worthwhile to swage them all.  

Edited by yellowfin