Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should be a law against this, OR

Sarge

I just started finding them about 3 months ago at my range. Didn't spot the crimp when sorting and of course found them when trying to seat primers with my press. Now I'm on the look out. The brass appeared to be very clean factory looking once fired brass when I found them, but some how I don't think the factory is crimping, but maybe I'm wrong?

I might be way off here, but doesn't the military require ammo to be crimped? Is it possible these are milsurp or brass out of the military? I do not know if Winchester supplies rounds for the US, but I cannot think of any other reason for them to be out there. I can still remember getting the crimp out of a couple of thousand surplus 9MM years back.

I might be way off here, but doesn't the military require ammo to be crimped? Is it possible these are milsurp or brass out of the military? I do not know if Winchester supplies rounds for the US, but I cannot think of any other reason for them to be out there. I can still remember getting the crimp out of a couple of thousand surplus 9MM years back.

Traditionally Winchester uses the head stamp WCC for their crimped stuff. This has always made it easy to sort it out for prepping prior to loading.

Some LE Agencies ask for crimped primers in their contracts, or it could be brass that failed a government inspection after priming and crimping. You see that in other brands, but usually just in rifle ammunition.

Two years ago I received somewhere around 3,000 mixed brass from a Michigan police range. For every 1 Winchester (40 S&W) non-crimped there were 2 Winchester crimped. The head stamps were identical. And, I have not asked for any more brass from that source!

I've been running into more and more of the crimped WIN brass, unfortunately it's been at the priming station. I always separate the military cases and haven't ever separated WIN cases before, but I will now.

The first few I chalked up to possibly a manufacturing error, but coming across them far too frequently now for that.

Wish they would nato cross stamp them or something so they stand out better.

I read the first line of the post saw the crimped primer pocket and the first thing I thought was.... "Sooooo, are you saying your not running a 1050???" Next thought came to mind is "Man I bet that elbow hurts..."

1050... best investment I've ever made ;)